Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

landini 9880

Options
  • 21-10-2011 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

hi.
    im going to look at a landini 9880 a 94 tomorrow and i was just woundering when your sitting in theseat what are the 3 leavers on the left hand side for. and what speed are they on the road if they have the original tyres. do people think they are a good tractor or what and should they have loader

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

valtra8150 wrote: »
    hi.
    im going to look at a landini 9880 a 94 tomorrow and i was just woundering when your sitting in theseat what are the 3 leavers on the left hand side for. and what speed are they on the road if they have the original tyres. do people think they are a good tractor or what and should they have loader

levers
    4 wheel drive
    pto
    pto speed 540/100

they came with different boxes , many were 30 kph

good tractor clutch is a bit soft for loader work and also check the front axel bushes costly fix if worn

cabs on 94 models were not zinc coated so could be prone to rust

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Ours is a '93 and has done nearly everything you can think of. From picking up silage and ploughing when she first came to alot of the smaller jobs these days. The most demanding job she does is backing up silage, she has fantastic traction.

We've done the clutch and replaced the synchro rings in the gearbox too but I put all that down to the ignorance of the drivers (heavy left foot and pulling a mechanical shuttle into F/R while still moving)
    But by far the biggest issue we've had wasn't a mechanical problem but a servicing fault. For the first few years we couldn't keep the back wheels on her. There's shims on the head of the rear half axles and when these were being replaced the first time the garage used lower tensile bolts. The heads would ring off and the half axle would come out of the housing. Happened several times until someone copped the higher tensile bolts in another tractor they were doing and since then hasn't been a problem.

Overall a good tractor and if you treat her right she'll look after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

Just bought a mid 1999 Evolution one last month with a loader.

Haven't done much with it but very impressed so far and looking forward to doing the ploughing with her come spring.

Very good and reliable tractor and a few neighbours have them that are gone around the clock which inspired us to snap up the low houred example we bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭valtra8150

snowman707 wrote: »
    levers
    4 wheel drive
    pto
    pto speed 540/100

they came with different boxes , many were 30 kph

good tractor clutch is a bit soft for loader work and also check the front axel bushes costly fix if worn

cabs on 94 models were not zinc coated so could be prone to rust
    from what year on did they zinc coat the cab. we have 2 landinis 10000s and a 8550 nd the old 10000s and the 8550 cabs are awful hard to keep good but the other 10000s is a 96 and cab is diped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

from what year on did they zinc coat the cab. we have 2 landinis 10000s and a 8550 nd the old 10000s and the 8550 cabs are awful hard to keep good but the other 10000s is a 96 and cab is diped.

we don't have a landini but I have worked my brother-in-law's a few times , he has now no fewer than a line up of 4,

"zinc" is written on the side panels and afaik it was the latter half of the 90's, all the ones with full glass doors would be treated ,

maybe lefthooker or some one else would have better info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭lefthooker

There is a "zinc" sticker on the panels of ours alright and the metalwork is perfect, not a spec of rust. We had a 96 10000S too in the same condition. Can't say when they started coating the cabs but definitely from 93 onwards. Look for the zinc sticker on the bonnet

dear nashman
    you said that you baught a 99 evelution there what sort of hours on her if yo dnt mind me asking. how much you pay for her and where you buy thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

dear nashman
    you said that you baught a 99 evelution there what sort of hours on her if yo dnt mind me asking. how much you pay for her and where you buy thanks.

A little over 3000 hours, we had a very cost effective trade in so only a low 5 figure sum to add to it. It also has a Tanco T series loader.

Bought off a small local dealer who sold a few of these back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

dear nashman

There's a good looking one here http://www.obrientractors.com/Tractors.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bazza6195

i used a 9880 to bale silage in the summer gone by, thought it was an ojus yoke to bale,great for power!!would rate it far higher than a 10000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Wainwright09

Sorry to hijack the thread but,could anyone tell me how would these tractors compare to lets say a case mx100 on cab sound level? Are they the type of tractor you could comfortably spend the day rotovating in? What are they like for loader work? Would 4500hrs be low for a 1999? Sorry for all the questions but i don't know anyone who knows these tractors.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

Well ive sat in 8550s 8880s new and old versions of both, turf cutting with a difco which is about as unpleasant a job as u could get and for a long days work they certainly were not bad, very few farmers would have spent as long in the cab of the tractor continually over say a 3 month period at slow speeds and a high rev as i would have and i couldnt fault them, Creature comforts are dependant on the operator and how quiet he would 'like' it to be, me i like to hear the engine a bit as it gives you a better feel of what and where your tractor is at in a given job situation !! Landini for me aer a really super tractor, totally underated !

Ford4000 wrote: »
    Well ive sat in 8550s 8880s new and old versions of both, turf cutting with a difco which is about as unpleasant a job as u could get and for a long days work they certainly were not bad, very few farmers would have spent as long in the cab of the tractor continually over say a 3 month period at slow speeds and a high rev as i would have and i couldnt fault them, Creature comforts are dependant on the operator and how quiet he would 'like' it to be, me i like to hear the engine a bit as it gives you a better feel of what and where your tractor is at in a given job situation !! Landini for me aer a really super tractor, totally underated !
    when buying though try not buy one if it was in the bog all the time ours 8550 leaks lift oil in the back end on the rhs cross shaft as thats all the side the weight from the turf machine was on. hours dont matter in them old tractors as such as long as they were changed oil the clock in hours has gone round at least 6 times and same in the 10000s and there still running like new

when buying though try not buy one if it was in the bog all the time ours 8550 leaks lift oil in the back end on the rhs cross shaft as thats all the side the weight from the turf machine was on. hours dont matter in them old tractors as such as long as they were changed oil the clock in hours has gone round at least 6 times and same in the 10000s and there still running like new

Ya the bog tractors didnt get it easy but most would be well looked after as regards oil but as u say the cross shaft would be under fair pressure, dam difco turbos were right heavy,

wouldnt ya thinnk they would of spread out the weight or at the least put a counter weight. or get and block of a big cyc tractor for the other side balance it out

aye but once ur on the bog every kilo counts well i know it !!!!!If u add weight it will balance yes but once u get stuck u still have a 'light side' as we used t call it !

i know i spent 12 seasons each lasting bout 4 or 5 months 7 days of the week 19 hours a day . went in to this bog we always had three wheel on each side if it was middlen wet this bog i had to borrow an extra set of another contractor ya couldnt even walk in it he cut about 100 yeards for two years and never got it as ground way to wet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

i know i spent 12 seasons each lasting bout 4 or 5 months 7 days of the week 19 hours a day . went in to this bog we always had three wheel on each side if it was middlen wet this bog i had to borrow an extra set of another contractor ya couldnt even walk in it he cut about 100 yeards for two years and never got it as ground way to wet

Holy moley, but you are some cookie. Five months of the year, seven days a week, with only five hours per day, not spent on the tractor:o
    Allowing travel time to and from the bog, plus a little bit of time to wash the bog off your face, and one or two other necessities, you had perhaps three hours sleep per day for five months.:D

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Holy moley, but you are some cookie. Five months of the year, seven days a week, with only five hours per day, not spent on the tractor:o
    Allowing travel time to and from the bog, plus a little bit of time to wash the bog off your face, and one or two other necessities, you had perhaps three hours sleep per day for five months.:D
    ya that was it most of the time all right ya. but if the bog was far away id finish a bit earlier and start a bit later. turf seasons not as long anymore some bogs i cut there twice a year people make two cuts of turf some people find it hard to make two cuts of silage never mind turf

Tora Bora wrote: »

Ya that would be about right hours were mental, sometimes a snooze in tractor for an hour or so !!!

• Advertisement

Ford4000 wrote: »
    Ya that would be about right hours were mental, sometimes a snooze in tractor for an hour or so !!!
    ya espically if ya were far away from home. god it was lovely in deep bogs ya could put the blade in and open the flask of tea and put the feet up not having to go near the spool valves lifting it up and down:)

Advertisement