Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best things to see

Options
  • 21-10-2011 2:51pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK, assume I'm leaving in the morning to go to NZ for at least a month (I'm not :(, but imagine I am!), what are the things I have to see, what are the things I might want to see, and what/where should I avoid/miss.

Please don't say "avoid X cos it's a kip" explain why - same for positives.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Avoid Auckland - 'cos it's like Dublin without the pubs.

See:

The West Coast - to find how why NZ-landers don't come to Ireland for the scenery.

Kaikoura - to swim with whales

Christchurch - to see what earthquakes do to places (and if you're a builder, they might have some stuff for you to fix while you're there).

Queenstown - for the snow (ok, bit late now) and parties.

Rotorua - 'cos it makes Dublin smell good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Depends what you're after theres lots of stuff to see/do....

Tramp one of the many amazing tracks and national parks at Tongariro, Fjordland, Arthurs, Mt Cook, Fox Glacier etc. Kayak the Abel Tasman Park or Waikato river, cycle tours, ski queenstown. Do a bungee or parachute jump.

Visit vinyards in Marlborough/Blenheim, Hawkes Bay and Martinborough. Explore Wellington's cool cafes, theatres, arts and museums. Soak in a hot mineral pool in Taupo and explore the Waitamo caves.

Grab a camper or rental car and explore the gorgeous south island or northland and bay of islands areas of the north island. Visit the Lord of the Rings sites. Chill out on empty beaches. Scuba dive and Snorkel. Go on Fishin Trips.

Theres tons of stuff you just need an idea of what you're into and chose a budget!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

pclancy wrote: »
    Depends what you're after theres lots of stuff to see/do....

Tramp one of the many amazing tracks and national parks at Tongariro, Fjordland, Arthurs, Mt Cook, Fox Glacier etc. Kayak the Abel Tasman Park or Waikato river, cycle tours, ski queenstown. Do a bungee or parachute jump.

Visit vinyards in Marlborough/Blenheim, Hawkes Bay and Martinborough. Explore Wellington's cool cafes, theatres, arts and museums. Soak in a hot mineral pool in Taupo and explore the Waitamo caves.

Grab a camper or rental car and explore the gorgeous south island or northland and bay of islands areas of the north island. Visit the Lord of the Rings sites. Chill out on empty beaches. Scuba dive and Snorkel. Go on Fishin Trips.

Theres tons of stuff you just need an idea of what you're into and chose a budget!

Good advice above op, Nz is all about scenery, it hasn't one decent city, Dublin beats any of them hands down and that's not to say I adore Dublin

Milford sound is a highlight for any tourist, it's a very long way to go for amazing natural beauty though, it's got nothing else

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

irishh_bob wrote: »
    Good advice above op, Nz is all about scenery, it hasn't one decent city, Dublin beats any of them hands down and that's not to say I adore Dublin

Milford sound is a highlight for any tourist, it's a very long way to go for amazing natural beauty though, it's got nothing else

Wouldn't entirely agree with this, Wellington is a great city. Decent music scene, good restaraunts/cafes, right on the sea.....

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Wouldn't entirely agree with this, Wellington is a great city. Decent music scene, good restaraunts/cafes, right on the sea.....

... and more continuous hours of sunshine than I've ever seen in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Wellington is fab, excellent nightlife and plenty to do and see. Taupo is well worth a visit too, there's rotarua, volcanic parks, watersports, outdoor pursuits etc. Oh and a skydive/bungee jump is a must!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

JustMary wrote: »
    ... and more continuous hours of sunshine than I've ever seen in Dublin!

so has lisbon or madrid but thier not 24hrs away

irishh_bob wrote: »
    so has lisbon or madrid but thier not 24hrs away

Agreed, but we're not comparing Dublin and Spanish cities in this forum.

Advertisement