Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

giving up alcohol

Options
  • 21-10-2011 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just looking for suggestions/advice really.

Basically i want to give up the demon drink! And i'm kinda lost on where to start or go.
    The reason i want to stop drinking is that i can't handle it anymore or the hangovers!!
    Once i get the taste for it i can't seem to stop. I rarely drink at home. Its just when i'm out in a pub or bar i go overboard and keep drinking until i'm intoxicated.
    And this is getting me in to trouble whether it be getting aggresive or spending a night in a cell on more than one occasion!
    I have gone to AA before but found it very depressing. I was thinking of going to my doctor and see whether he would refer me somewhere.
    I've just turned 31 now and at the moment my life seems like a wreck!
    So i really want to change things around and start living a better life without the drink.
    So i'm just writing this to hear from people who have been through some thing similar and how they got help??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Pretty simple. Don't go to the pub.

From wikipedia:
    A public house, informally known as a pub, is a drinking establishment which is part of British, Irish, Australian and New Zealand culture.

Put simply, one goes to the pub to drink.

The main problem is, of course, it's part of our "culture," which means for many people it will be a significant cultural change to stop drinking.

I have a friend who has a reputation for being a bit wild. He joined a scuba diving club which gave him two reasons not to drink: 1, if he was training or diving the following day he could not drink the night before; and 2, he used it as an excuse to save money.

So when the rest of us looking forward to getting drunk at the weekend, he was looking forward to go scuba diving.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Hi Suzycat,

Its great that you want to improve your life and you are at a great age to do it - still in the prime of your life and whatnot.

Many people give up by themselves which is do-able once you prepare well, learn how to live a healthy lifestyle and keep very busy especially in the short term. The treatment centres, as far as I know, are for people who are physically dependant and need both physical and psychological support in the early stages.

I found that most of the 'help' I got (and still get) is from inside myself. In my experience, other people in general are not much support so it's up to me to keep busy, find ways to motivate myself and keep myself motivated by informing myself, reading inspiring stories etc. and reminding myself regularly why I'm doing it. Also, it helps to learn how to keep calm and not let stress build up and leave you in a vulnerable position.

You can also get support from places like boards.ie from others who are in the same boat, on the same journey.

I hope this helps and good luck with your quest.

PS: I'm off it 5 months next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stormin_norman

that's a pickle alright. best suggestion is to mull it over a few tall ones

A bad start from you. Next time you will be permanently banned - Tremelo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭MrsStuffings

that's a pickle alright. best suggestion is to mull it over a few tall ones

post reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, just don't have a drink today. Don't worry about tomorrow or the distant future. Like breaking any habit, one day at a time is your mantra. You can go one day without drink, and start every day with the decision not to take a drink "today"

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

suzycat wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm just looking for suggestions/advice really.

Basically i want to give up the demon drink! And i'm kinda lost on where to start or go.
    The reason i want to stop drinking is that i can't handle it anymore or the hangovers!!
    Once i get the taste for it i can't seem to stop. I rarely drink at home. Its just when i'm out in a pub or bar i go overboard and keep drinking until i'm intoxicated.
    And this is getting me in to trouble whether it be getting aggresive or spending a night in a cell on more than one occasion!
    I have gone to AA before but found it very depressing. I was thinking of going to my doctor and see whether he would refer me somewhere.
    I've just turned 31 now and at the moment my life seems like a wreck!
    So i really want to change things around and start living a better life without the drink.
    So i'm just writing this to hear from people who have been through some thing similar and how they got help??

Thanks

I'm very sorry OP, but we cannot advise you here. You seem to have an addiction and need professional support.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement