Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puncture Saga

Options
  • 21-10-2011 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

So I got two or three punctures and each time the hole was on the inside of the tube and seemed to be caused by there being a hole in the tape that goes around the wheel rim (it was almost like the tube was pushing a hole into the tap). In each case the hole in the tube corresponded with a hole in the tape and the puncture was nice and round and when it went it went with a pop. When I repaired the puncture I put a patch over the hole in the tape.

I went back to the shop which fitted the wheel and they put new tape on the wheel rim and fitted a new tube. All was good for two or three weeks.

Yesterday I got four punctures all on the inside of the tube and three of them in the same place. I could see for the first one or maybe two the problem could have been because the tape was not covering the little hole that the spoke goes into. But for the other two I am at a complete loss.

The bike it a fairly standard hybrid and I am pumping the tires to ‘70’ as per the instructions on the tire wall. I have continental touring plus tires (Ironically, I bought these to avoid punctures). It always happens to the wheel on the back and I use a pannier. I use the bike on my daily commute 30ish minutes each way.

Is this a common occurrence, given that I am carrying out the repairs myself is there a common mistake I might be making. I am beginning to get really fed up.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

I would firsty run a check on the spokes - it sounds like you have a loose one that is pushing into the tube. Then look at replacing the rim tape if it's ripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

Just get some thicker rim tape, I prefer the tape that sticks to the rim. You shold be able to get some in your LBS

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭OldPeculier

See previous post from petethedrummer who had a similar issue and how he resolved it, maybe you could pm him for more details?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75027687&postcount=42

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Even if the rim tape looks OK, the pressures that the tube is under means that even the most innocuous looking bump or edge will slice through a piece of rubber at 70PSI.

I got sick of these a few years back on an MTB, so ended up just using two thick rim tapes on each wheel. Problem went away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

I was well pleased with Continental rim tape on my wide MTB tractor rims - good solid stuff, like rigid plastic that snaps on rather than weeny rubber stuff that kinda sticks but sometimes moves...
    Dunno if there is an equivalent for 700c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

I dropped back in to the bike shop and they have fitted wider rim tape and a new tube. They also suggested that I don’t go up to 70 as that is the max and that 60 would be fine. Lastly and I know this probably sounds corny but the repair guy took me through the swap over of the rim tape and refitting the tire as he thought that at least one of the flats could have been down to me pinching the tube. Given that I don’t have a whole pile of experience I was glad of the advice and the demonstration.

Just as an aside: I changed jobs about 6months ago and part and parcel of the change was switching over to my bike for my daily commute. Before I cycled to work a little bit but now it is every day (I have driven to work 3 days in the last 6 months). I have to say I am really enjoying it and it has made a big difference to my fitness and my lifestyle generally. I am a happy cycling convert.

Thanks for the advice and the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

See pictures here of similiar problem. New rim tape did the trick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Sounds like you've something sharp on inside of the rim.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

Is the wheel rim double walled? As in, the rim tape when fitted doesnt actually come into contact with the spoke nipples it just covers a hole in the rim, if this is the case make sure the rim tape thats been fitted isnt just the soft rubber type, it has to be either hard plastic or stick on fabric type. Other wise at the pressure your running the tube will just keep exploding into the holes in the rim!

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Holyboy wrote: »
    Other wise at the pressure your running the tube will just keep exploding into the holes in the rim!

Sounds like Paul Kiernan's problem from last year alright!

I had a similar issue with my back wheel last year. Puncture guaranteed every week - and every time I'd scour the tyre for embedded grit (find none) and be ultra-careful when reseating the tube and tyre. It just drives you nuts when you're almost expecting the puncture every time you get on the bike, and then, weary resignation when that messy handling round the last corner tells you it's happened again.

Solution that worked for me: new rim tape, examine every inch of the rim for grit/debris, and file away even the slightest of nicks with a bit of fine sandpaper. (And only ever use plastic tyre levers.) Not a puncture since... *crosses fingers*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Wookie

Holyboy wrote: »
    Is the wheel rim double walled? As in, the rim tape when fitted doesnt actually come into contact with the spoke nipples it just covers a hole in the rim, if this is the case make sure the rim tape thats been fitted isnt just the soft rubber type, it has to be either hard plastic or stick on fabric type. Other wise at the pressure your running the tube will just keep exploding into the holes in the rim!

Yes it is, you have nailed it! I have a wider tape in now but I think the hard plastic tape is the way to go.

It wont matter how wide a rubber rim tape you use it will keep happening, rubber rim tapes are only for use on single wall rims, hard plastic can cause their own problems too, if its not a very tight fit they can start to slide round the rim and rip the valve off so im not a great fan of them, sticky fabric really is the way to go, it should sort out all your problems, well this problem anyway:)

Now you have me worried! After struggling big time with fitting a Panaracer Ribmo on my rear wheel, and trying all the tricks posted here and on line, I swapped out the hard plastic rim tape with a rubber one. I found the extra millimetres gave me the slack to fit the tyre, which was very, very difficult without pinching the tube - I punctured it a good few times trying to fit the tyre. I'll see how it goes, but have to say I overlooked the hard plastic on double walled wheels (mavic askium). :o

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Now you have me worried! After struggling big time with fitting a Panaracer Ribmo on my rear wheel, and trying all the tricks posted here and on line, I swapped out the hard plastic rim tape with a rubber one. I found the extra millimetres gave me the slack to fit the tyre, which was very, very difficult without pinching the tube - I punctured it a good few times trying to fit the tyre. I'll see how it goes, but have to say I overlooked the hard plastic on double walled wheels (mavic askium). :o

If your running close to or max pressure, which I assume you are, its only a matter of time before it pops, I feel there may be a run on fabric rim tapes this weekend:) most shops around will have a twin pack of red ones called Mighty, dont let the look of them or the fact that they are called Mighty put you off they are actually some of the best ive used and only cost about five or six euro for the pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Should you not run at max pressure? I've slick Nimbus Armadillo MTBs 26x1.5 and is PSI: 35-80 I run it at the max.

OK, after today's debacle, I have decided to ditch the rear Panaracer I recently purchased - a €40 mistake on hind sight. I had a punture (big shard of glass that ripped through the tyre) and could not fit the tyre back on, no matter what I tried - after one hour in the p*ssing rain, and 3 tubes piched in the process, I had to be collected 50k from home. Not good.

I've decided to replace these with a set of Continental Sport Contacts. Seeing tehm here and reading the reviews they look like they might tick a few boxes - good rolling resistance, good in the wet and some puncture resistance. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Reviews.aspx?ModelID=18828
    At this stage, I'll quiet happily replace the odd tube or patch a tube on the side of the road if need be after today's incident.

Has anyone specifically fitted these to Mavic Askiums? I'm looking for something that I can get on and off handily without the shear hassle of the Panaracers. Performance not be all and end all - I'm a commuter with a few weekend spins thrown in on the same bike.

OK, after today's debacle, I have decided to ditch the rear Panaracer I recently purchased - a €40 mistake on hind sight. I had a punture (big shard of glass that ripped through the tyre) and could not fit the tyre back on, no matter what I tried - after one hour in the p*ssing rain, and 3 tubes piched in the process, I had to be collected 50k from home. Not good.

I've decided to replace these with a set of Continental Sport Contacts. Seeing tehm here and reading the reviews they look like they might tick a few boxes - good rolling resistance, good in the wet and some puncture resistance. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Reviews.aspx?ModelID=18828
    At this stage, I'll quiet happily replace the odd tube or patch a tube on the side of the road if need be after today's incident.

Has anyone specifically fitted these to Mavic Askiums? I'm looking for something that I can get on and off handily without the shear hassle of the Panaracers. Performance not be all and end all - I'm a commuter with a few weekend spins thrown in on the same bike.

I think I've fitted those to Aksiums,I know for sure I've fitted plenty of gator skins to them and don't remember it ever being very difficult but I've fitted Panaracers too and don't remember problems but I don't pay much attention any more,well that sounds bad, I do but when your doing it twenty times a day you kind of go into auto pilot!

BostonB wrote: »
    Should you not run at max pressure? I've slick Nimbus Armadillo MTBs 26x1.5 and is PSI: 35-80 I run it at the max.

It's not the law that you have to but it generally results in less problems if you do, the side walls on the tyres you have suffer terribly if ridden below about 50 psi so I think max pressure is good:)

If it's any consolation I recently bought a pair of Panaracers (on special in CycleSuperstore) to stick on my Aksiums. Never had a tougher fit, ever - ended up having to, eh, 'thumb it in' with the tyre levers - the cardinal sin. And I've fitted Gatorskins many a time.

Great tyre (so far) though. Just not looking forward to the first puncture, whenever it comes.

Thanks form that Oflahero, out of curioisity what size were the Panaracers? Also purchased mine at the CSS. I replaced a 700 x 28 with a 700 x 25 (no 28's avialable at CSS last weekend), the previous fit (28) was tight but do-able. Brought up the point of the tightness and the guy reckoned the 25 should be no bother. How wrong was I!

The 25 is simply impossible to fit - took me loads of gos an pinches in a nice warm kitchen when I replaced it before facing the incident yesterday kind of defeats the purpose of having a puncture resistant tyre if you can't repalced a tube easily, in my book. I plan on doing some decent winter spins, so having this happen again half way up the Wicklow mountains will be a major issue!

Both tyre and rim are compatible AFAIK, according to what I saw on Mavic & Panasonics websites anyway. But I think me an Panaracer are parting company!

• Advertisement

what size were the Panaracers?

700x23. Though when a puncture does come, hopefully the tyre'll have stretched out a bit and it won't be as much of a bee-yatch to get on and off.

On the other end of the scale, I found Vittoria tyres to be the most easygoing in this respect (Open Corsas/Rubinos).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

+1 on the gators with the Aksiums, no bother with them. Had a seriously hard time with a Panaracer 700x23 some time back...

Thanks for the feedback, I felt a right kn*b haven gone through 3 spare tubes yesterday - :mad: - It's not just me then having trouble with these tyres :cool:

I'd try the Gatorskins, but have read they can be tricky in the wet???

oflahero wrote: »
    700x23. Though when a puncture does come, hopefully the tyre'll have stretched out a bit and it won't be as much of a bee-yatch to get on and off.

Yeah, I was a bit unlucky. Fitted the tyre Thursday night, them hit the mother of all glass splinters on the way to Skerries yesterday afternoon. Bad timing ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'd try the Gatorskins, but have read they can be tricky in the wet???

I've been happily using gators in all weathers for the past 2 years...

OK, have the Continental's on order with CRC - will report back!

Advertisement