Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden animals have disappeared

Options
  • 21-10-2011 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭

We've had 2 hedgehogs and two foxes visiting our garden nightly. One of the hedgehogs and one of the foxes have been around for two years now. The 2nd fox is a cub born this year. We haven't seen any of the animals since the end of Sept. A completely different fox showed up last night (it only has one eye!). I felt it was too early for the hedgehogs to have hibernated and foxes obviously don't hibernate. I'm worried that some one has poisoned them all (either deliberately targeting the foxes or by accident). What other explanation would there be for two different species of regular visitors to suddenly all stop appearing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Motor cars ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

thebishop wrote: »
    Motor cars ?

We live in a quiet cul de sac with no busy roads nearby so I don't think so. Didn't find any roadkill around since they all vanished either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Most likely moved off to find their own territories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

could the foxes hav been shot?

Foxes are acting very strainge in my area for the time of the year, i was out lamping on tuesday night, 2nd field we hit 4 sets of eyes, called them in and sure enough it was 4 foxes together! on we went t the next field and there was 2 more together and on again and another 2 together! 2 Weeks ago i sat hid about half 8 and listened to 2 calling to each other from a field or 2 away. very strainge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

We've had 2 hedgehogs and two foxes visiting our garden nightly. One of the hedgehogs and one of the foxes have been around for two years now. The 2nd fox is a cub born this year. We haven't seen any of the animals since the end of Sept. A completely different fox showed up last night (it only has one eye!). I felt it was too early for the hedgehogs to have hibernated and foxes obviously don't hibernate. I'm worried that some one has poisoned them all (either deliberately targeting the foxes or by accident). What other explanation would there be for two different species of regular visitors to suddenly all stop appearing?
    Poisoning is likely. Hedgehogs can travel a couple of Kilometres in a single night and foxes also have a home range of a couple of Kilometers. Easy for them to pick up poison Still alot of poisoning going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Traonach wrote: »
    Poisoning is likely. Hedgehogs can travel a couple of Kilometres in a single night and foxes also have a home range of a couple of Kilometers. Easy for them to pick up poison Still alot of poisoning going on.

Yes - the message that poison can only legally be used now as covered bait for rodents still hasn't got through to some idiots:mad: Such indiscriminate and illegal activities put so many other rare and protected species at risk, not to mention peoples pets!! .:(

Advertisement