Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into a masters with a pass degree

Options
  • 21-10-2011 7:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Kind of general query, but here it goes..

Long story, but I only managed to get a pass degree. The degree is in education.

Now, I've looked at many masters courses in various areas (all non-education) and all of them seem to require that the candidate have got a strong honours degree, usually looking for a 2-1.

How strict is this? Is there any point at all in me applying for these courses?

Also, when people do masters degrees, are they usually in the same general area as what they did in their degree course? The reason I ask is that the masters courses I am considering are not related to education.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

It depends what you want to do, where you want to go and if you've any work experience, I'd imagine.

With finances being tight everywhere now, I think you have a good chance on a lot of courses where previously you might not have.
    You can always converse with the program coordinator about your chances, the competition etc. and you may get a good or bad feel from that. At least you won't have to waste the application fee in that case.

People usually (but not always) do a masters in a subject someway related to their degree but that differs between different disciplines. Being from education, you could make a good case for yourself.
    In technical/professional subjects you can generally expect to have to do a Hdip before a masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Thanks for that.

I actually meant to say that my degree is a 3rd Class Honours, but had I got the degree a few years ago, it would have been a pass degree. The degree was upgraded in my college.

Either way, most masters courses seem to look for a 2:1 or 2:2 minimum so I'd probably have to do a HDip before I could go for a masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭waitingforBB

I guess there are a lot of variables, but there are several masters which take work experience into consideration on top of degreel level.
    I've taken an MBA which didnt require an honors degree but was stringent in its requirement around management experience on top of basic academic qualifications. As previous poster stated, there is leeway. Talk to the admins of the course you want to do and press your case if you feel that you are suitable and capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Being honest-it is very unlikely and bordering on impossible to get into a masters with just a pass degree.
    Do something like a higher diploma in the subject or a qualifying course and work hard at that.

Thats what I did as my grades were not sufficient to get into the masters from my undergrad.
    It extends your college life by a year but on the plus side-an extra year is nothing if you get where you wanna go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

What is the unrelated area? I'm looking to go into something related but I'm worried as my final year isn't going so well I might get mostly a B but maybe a C in my thesis which is 20%, I could do worse,

I was talking to the head of a masters in UCD at a conference and he was saying that he will look at peoples experience more so than their grades, but I can understand that if there is minimum criteria they might have to stick to that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement