Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To buy pivate or from a dealer? Hmmm.....

Options
  • 20-10-2011 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭

Im looking to upgrade my bike soon.
    Im currently on a 2000 Bandit 600.

Ive a trade in offer of 1500 against a 2004 Sv1000. The SV is priced at 4500.

Comparing that 4500 to similar sv1000's on places like donedeal shows that its a bit expensive. But then again, a dealer is offering 3 months warranty.

So what do you guys think. Is the extra you pay from a dealer worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

goodlad wrote: »
    Im looking to upgrade my bike soon.
    Im currently on a 2000 Bandit 600.

Ive a trade in offer of 1500 against a 2004 Sv1000. The SV is priced at 4500.

Comparing that 4500 to similar sv1000's on places like donedeal shows that its a bit expensive. But then again, a dealer is offering 3 months warranty.

So what do you guys think. Is the extra you pay from a dealer worth it?

Depends on how good an offer you get private and if the savings are better than having the security of a warranty.

Try and push the dealer to give 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Just had a quick look there but 4500 seems like way too much. Not worth it for a 3 month warranty imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

Bike owners (especially owners of bigger bikes) generally look after their bikes, so I never had a problem buying privately (different story with cars, methinks). So I don't think it's worth paying premium for a 3 month warranty. There's usually more room for negotiation when buying privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

Sure i will stick my bandit up on donedeal in a few minutes and see how much i can get for it. Depending on that i can look around privately.

Ive sat on and test drive a few bikes in the last while and have decided im absolutely going for a sv1000 for an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Green Mile

Put a link here after you post your ad, I am looking to buy a bike and I'm not sure what I want. I'm only a learner though.

• Advertisement

Green Mile wrote: »
    Put a link here after you post your ad, I am looking to buy a bike and I'm not sure what I want. I'm only a learner though.

Will do man.
    The bandit I'm selling was my first bike, tis in great condition and still restricted.

I took a look on donedeal at bikes similar to my own and priced it to more of less match.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2643761

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

After buying both privately and off dealers i dont think I would have any interest in buying from a dealer again... over priced and even if you do have a problem, sods law is that it will happen just as the warrenty runs out...

An SV1000 is fairly bullet proof VTwin so with a bit of luck you'll get a good one that will never need anything. But my advice would be take the money you saved from buying it from a dealer and put it aside for repairs & maintainance

I can see why donedeal is so popular.
    The ad is only up a few hours and ive already have 6 calls :eek:

Gotta kep my eye out for a nice sv now.
    The front on some of them are pointy and some of them seem kinda roundy.
    I think i will try get a pointy, lol

Maybe its just my eyes playing tricks on me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

goodlad wrote: »
    I can see why donedeal is so popular.
    The ad is only up a few hours and ive already have 6 calls :eek:

Gotta kep my eye out for a nice sv now.
    The front on some of them are pointy and some of them seem kinda roundy.
    I think i will try get a pointy, lol

Maybe its just my eyes playing tricks on me though.

lol - errr... maybe ya wanna do more research lol!

Why are you buying an SV?

They changed from "curvey" to "pointy" in 2003, when the began making them they were used carbs then in 2003 they went to injectors - 2003 was a rough year for them so they brought out a new one in 2004 - very similar looks, just small things improved - then again in 2005 a new model was released with a black frame - this model stayed on the shelves until 2009 (i think)

An SV is a powerful, petrol hungry monster that will pull the arms off you -(in a good way)!

if you are looking for natural progression from a bandit, be careful going to a 1 litre bike, they are great but if you use it for commuting a 600 is the best you can get for nipping around towns. If you are stuck on 1 liters dont forget to look at Fazer 1k`s, CBF1000`s etc etc

• Advertisement

Well the reason im upgrading is quite literally because i find the bandit a bit boring sometimes. I want a bit (lot?) more power there sometimes.

I had looked at a gsxr 600 but my insurance quote went stupidly high.
    Basically anything with an "R" is out of the question.

After looking around for a few weeks i decided by looks, i prefer the sv1000 to most the other options.

I went to a few bike shops and sat on several bikes and still prefered the sv1000 to most anything i looked at.

Hell, if i see something else i think is nicer i would give it a look.
    But to this point i havent seen anything else that will give me a nice power upgrade, looks nice and wont sent my insurance up much.

Currently im with adelaide, i just renewed and they still came in cheapest.
    I pay 501 euro with them. If i switch to a SV1000 my insurance only increases to 692.

Where as when i mentioned a gsxr 600 they quote me 1400...... madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

all depends on the dealer. as in all trades there are good and bad so maybe get feedback from other riders who have used said dealer. Around Limerick we have good and not so good dealers so customer feedback would be the way to go. Ask around and then go with your findings.

Advertisement