Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best train, Dublin-Limerick?

Options
  • 20-10-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm hoping to travel from Dublin to Limerick mid-week, any time after 3pm. I've never made the journey before, and am new to trains!!
    I see from the website Colbert is the name of the station in Limerick city, I'm heading to Castletroy/Annacotty, Is there a closer station?
    Which trains will be packed? I've a cast on my leg so will need plenty of space in the journey, which trains will be too busy?

Any help appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You can pre book your seat, so book one with a bit of space for your leg...

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Book yourself a seat on an intercity direct (no stops) otherwise you will be hopping around Limerick Junction with difficulty.

Buying your ticket on-line is usually cheaper anyhow.

Get a cab from outside the main gate of the station out to Castletroy/Annacotty. It will probably cost you in the region of €15 or so but will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Capture.png
    Just a random screen grab to show you the seats with the most legroom.
    You can also see how many people have booked online as well. Maybe get the 15:25 train? it's the direct one from Hueston, you'll get here for 17:45.

The taxi's outside the station are usually cost more but if you're tight on money there's a taxi place just >5 minutes up the road you could call them to come down here's a link
    afaik it's fix price.
    Hope any of that was helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

No closer station to UL, just Limerick Station.

The bus to UL is about a 10 minute walk from the station if that interested you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭phog

If you dont pre-book your seat then make sure you check the LED Display over the windows to ensure that you're not about to sit on a pre-booked seat.

The 15.25 from Dublin has a trolly that serves refreshments.

Edited to add - I just saw your question about it being packed - I was on it yesterday and it was busy but certainly not packed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Castleconnel is closer to Annacotty, but it's on a strange line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

testicle wrote: »
    Castleconnel is closer to Annacotty, but it's on a strange line.

Castleconnell may be closer but there is only one train there in the evenings, the 17:25 with a change at Ballybrophy. I don't know what the bus or taxi service in Castleconnell is like but it would probably be easier to get there from Limerick than Castleconnell.

Advertisement