Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever hear of data-audit@compfutures.com

Options
  • 20-10-2011 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Got an email sent to my gmail account from data-audit (at)compfutures.com today. They are saying they are issuing me with anotice that i have been added to their contact database and they provide a link to click so see how they will be provide me recuitment services. This sounds like a scam like those internet registry emails. Never heard of this company and never signed up for any services.

Anyone heard of them ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do not respond to them - that would only confirm that your e-mail address is real.

Simply add them to your block list - not sure how to do this with gmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Security

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

c'mon Flaccus, you of all people should know it's a trap ;) hope you're doing well :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

you're not the only one to get this:

http://recruitmental.com/2011/04/privacy-and-electronic-communications-regulations-2003-rule-1/

a small extract:
    I recently received a strange email from Computer Futures. The email came from ‘data-audit@compfutures.com’ and began:

This notice is issued to confirm that you have been added to the Computer Futures contact database. This will enable our employees to have access to your company details and match CVs to relevant roles.
    Now, that all sounds very official, except that I’ve never spoken to any of their employees and am only aware of who Computer Futures are thanks to Matt’s stories on here. Luckily, after a lot of information about their services, candidates, database, etc I found:

they do seem to be a legitimate company:
    IP address: 212.53.89.138
    Host name: compfutures.com

canonical name: compfutures.com
    212.53.89.138 is from United Kingdom(UK) in region Western Europe

Domain Name: COMPFUTURES.COM
    Registrar: ASCIO TECHNOLOGIES, INC.
    Whois Server: whois.ascio.com
    Referral URL: http://www.ascio.com
    Name Server: NS1.NETNAMES.NET
    Name Server: NS2.NETNAMES.NET
    Updated Date: 04-apr-2011
    Creation Date: 23-jan-1997
    Expiration Date: 24-jan-2012

Registrant:
    STHREE MANAGEMENT SERVICES (STHREEMA930)
    GPS House
    215 Great Portland Street
    London, , W1W 5PN
    GB

Domain name: compfutures.com

Technical contact:
    Administrator, Domain (DA253594)
    NetNames Hostmaster
    3rd Floor Prospero House
    241 Borough High Street
    Borough, London, SE1 1GA
    GB
    corporate-services@netnames.com
    +44.2070159370 Fax: +44.2070159375

but their ethics appear to be somewhat ... lacking?

On an interesting note, if you search for them you get a lot of crossover results with computer futures. They arent the same company at all from what I can tell but the similarity in name is more than likely not an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Yes, I guessed it was a scam. And obviously I didn't reply. Do people actually fall for these sort of things ? I assume if I did, the next thing I'd be getting a bill in the post or through email. I wonder how they even got my email address. I keep my pc fairly locked down and only a few people have my address.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Flaccus wrote: »
    Yes, I guessed it was a scam. And obviously I didn't reply. Do people actually fall for these sort of things ? I assume if I did, the next thing I'd be getting a bill in the post or through email. I wonder how they even got my email address. I keep my pc fairly locked down and only a few people have my address.

from the article I linked above they seem to poach details from other recruitment agencies. I would guess either an employee takes CVs with him when he leaves (very wrong) , they search the competitions online database somehow (wrong) or they set upa dummy position and pay for a load of CVs to be sent over which they then add to their list of potentials and use to make money from tehir own clients (also wrong) or, maybe they are sold a batch of CVs from another agency (also very wrong imho as it goes against data protection).

Advertisement