Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good site to check out a bike?

Options
  • 19-10-2011 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Looking for how to check the history of a bike, such as a website

stuff like, mileage? imported or not? crashed? or outstanding finance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

anyone? I'm going to look at few bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Merch wrote: »
    anyone? I'm going to look at few bikes

you gota give people a chance man.

http://www.motorcheck.ie/

:) sorry, just saw a few views and no replies, my thread isn't interesting :)

bit concerned about buying private but it seems much cheaper, I'll check that now, should it show outstanding finance? thats one thing dont want to get stung for.

ok, now Im worried, the bike isnt the colour its supposed to be???? could motorcheck be wrong? its in what looks like familar colours of make?

Merch wrote: »
    ok, now Im worried, the bike isnt the colour its supposed to be???? could motorcheck be wrong? its in what looks like familar colours of make?

guy might have resprayed it but not registered the change.

The colour of the bike should be in the bike registration doc too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Put up a link of the bike? Some people respray their bikes through choice, some for nessecity from a crash/slide on the road.

ok, its €35 to get a full check, :/ if I was selling Id provide that to move the sale, hmm, its worth it so long as the list is narrow, if it was resprayed its a good job, maybe they just changed the tank as there's not much else on it to spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I don't think outstanding financing is as big an issue over here as it is in the UK, but I could be corrected.

If you are unsure of a bike you could always ask for some help in looking at a bike that takes your fancy. There are some good heads here and elsewhere that would have no issue in looking at a bike with you if you ask.

Why would outstanding finance be an issue?
    Surely a finance agreement is linked to the person and not the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

To be quite honest, I've no idea. It's something that I see on ads for selling/buying cars in the UK but I have no idea what it's about. Have you ever encountered that there?

• Advertisement

Even for finance here, if there is any on a car (so I assumed bikes too) then it means the person that pays the finance doesnt really own it, the finance company does until the last payment, if the bike is sold, it shouldn't be unless the finance is paid off, it is still their property so they could recover the bike.New owner is not really new owner then and has no vehicle. the seller has the money,try get it back?? thats what I was meaning.
    Also had a link up but took it down, not sure if allowed link to other sites.

I think a seller should pay for the motorcheck, gives a buyer confidence its ok, from the above issue or any other, had a look at motorcheck (see above from another poster) seems to cover a few things but wouldn't want to be paying 35 euro to get it on anything more than 1 bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

The AA also provides a car history check (incl. outstanding finance). Dunno if they do bikes, but can't really see why not.

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/Vehicle-checks/Car-Data-Checks.aspx

I looked at the AA site after you recommended it, its dearer than the motorcheck one.

I did a test ride on a bike, I think there were a few things wrong with it,
    I thought the gears were rattly (if that sounds right?).
    I have always started a bike with the clutch lever pulled, even if the N light is on, this bike would not start with the clutch lever pulled, is that unusual? or is it just my inexperience?

Advertisement