Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything has vanished off my Mac...HELP!

Options
  • 19-10-2011 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hey, I'm just wondering if anybody can advise me if there's anything I can do to restore my MacBook Pro?? I'm just after turning it on & all my files are gone. It seems to have just done this itself because everything was there this morning before I went to work & then I shut it down.

I only have it since March :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Are their multiple user accounts on the machine? i.e. are you sure you are logged into your user account?

And when you say all your files are gone, is that just your personal files? Are your applications still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Maental2000

Are their multiple user accounts on the machine? i.e. are you sure you are logged into your user account?

And when you say all your files are gone, is that just your personal files? Are your applications still there?

I restarted it there and everything is working fine now again...I DEFINITELY logged into my account the first time though...would it be possible that maybe it logged me into a different account by accident or something though? 'Cos like you said - my applications were there but when I clicked on some files it was telling me I didn't have permission to view it.
    Thanks for the help anyway! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's possible you started up in safe mode. Holding the shift key at startup will do this. Are you sure you logged into your account?

It's possible you started up in safe mode. Holding the shift key at startup will do this. Are you sure you logged into your account?

Yeah, I'm positive I logged into my account. It's all very strange!!...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Simple check to make if this happens again:
    Are there drops of sweat on your desk?
    If you find them - see if you can find a chap in black dangling from your ceiling.
    Tell him to stop schnooping on ya as it's wrecking your "data"

• Advertisement

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Buy and external hard drive and do a backup so if it ever happens again at least you have your files still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

and don't forget the lasers to potect that camera crew and tom cruise sized air conditioning vent...

(as d.s. said - get an external drive and crank up time machine)

Advertisement