Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Immigrants" in Ireland?

Options
  • 19-10-2011 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Didn't quite know where to post this one, but;
    Im a Norwegian from Oslo with a family; my husband and our daughter. We are a wealthy family and consider moving to Ireland, just because it seems like a wonderful country.

I've heard that the irish people is not very happy over people from other communities moving to Ireland, but thats just gossip from my friend.

So irish people out there; how are the general irish people to white "immigrants" who are catholics and wealthy, who dont move to Ireland to make money and move back to their own country but because they think Ireland's a nice country?

Our whole family is speaking english.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

Why do you have immigrants in quotes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

You could be Roman Catholic, wealthy and white and still be called an outsider twenty years later. Begrudgery is an Irish national past time and it is the flip side to the initial friendliness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Cazinoo wrote: »
    We are a wealthy family and consider moving to Ireland, just because it seems like a wonderful country.

I've heard that the irish people is not very happy over people from other communities moving to Ireland, but thats just gossip from my friend.

Demonique wrote:
    Why do you have immigrants in quotes?

You have to understand, your post reads like it could be satire, but I will answer as if you are serious regardless.

You're distinguishing yourself from "immigrants" by saying you're white, catholic, wealthy, and because you think it's a 'wonderful country' (not something you hear a lot here lately by the way!).

Same as anywhere, because you have the language, and similar skin/cultural background to the majority, you will likely find it much easier to settle and find yourself accepted and welcomed quicker than most.

I don't have a problem with immigration, I think it has been a broadly positive thing for Irleand. But as far as there is an issue with "immigration" here right now, and why your friend might be "gossiping", it's because times are hard and, like anywhere, some people will get fixated on non-nationals who may be milking the system, or at least anyone "lower in the chain" than them.

Bottom line - if you moved here you wouldn't be considered an "immigrant" at all in the sense that you are using the inverted commas. If you do your research and pick the right part of the country for your family's needs, and so long as you know what you're getting into with our climate, you will be fine and, I'm sure, more than welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Irish people don't mind people from other communities moving to Ireland.
    It's ony when they bring the whole community with them that people start complaining.

As a norweigan you should be well received in Ireland and should indeed find it a friendly place, particularly if you are moving to a small town or village. Try to involve yourself in local activities and within the community and you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

I would have no problem with you and your family moving to Ireland. You are coming as an educated middle class person and althoug technically an immigrant i would put you in a different category to what we usually think of when we say "immigrant" - as in lower class/muslim/eastern bloc etc who only come for personal gain and form ghettos.

You and your family are most welcome and we hope you would like it here. When people get to know you properly they will be very accepting. In fact many of the more traditional "immigrants" do not mix well with the local people and tend to ghettoise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

I can't really understand this thread really. It comes down to this. If you come to Ireland you come for the culture, the people and the way of life.

If you do come to Ireland to live, then to be fully accepted you should gently involve yourself with the local community at some level. There is no point coming to a country and living behind automatic gates in the house on the top of a hill somewhere.

Where I live we now have many different countries represented in the area. Most are only delighted to be involved with some local aspect.

If you do come, find somewhere to live that is small enough to become involved, but big enough to have your own space.

Didn't quite know where to post this one, but;
    Im a Norwegian from Oslo with a family; my husband and our daughter. We are a wealthy family and consider moving to Ireland, just because it seems like a wonderful country.

So irish people out there; how are the general irish people to white "immigrants" who are catholics and wealthy, who dont move to Ireland to make money and move back to their own country but because they think Ireland's a nice country?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

I have to agree with itsdacraic, as long as you're not coming over here to grab money off the government you will be well received and being wealthy could help things aswell. I live in a small enough village and there are a few families from the Netherlands who moved in a few years ago and have fit in perfectly. Speaking English aswell is great as people will feel they'll be able to talk to you freely without worrying if you understand

Advertisement