Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defensive riding.

Options
  • 19-10-2011 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭

I am not talking about bashing car drivers more at ways that bikers can modify their riding habits in order to become safer and better.
    I saw this video today, Its pretty good at explaining the causes of car drivers pulling out.
    if anyone watched the Train your brain recently on NatGeo they can appreciate that the way your brain is setup affects how you see things.
    Hopefully this will be of benefit to someone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

He was doing fine until he got to 4:50 :)

Good analysis of the nature of the problem but good grief, what a donkey of a thing to suggest folk do by way of solution! Not to speak of it being a pretty impossible manoevre to be attempting around built up areas where you meet the ..er... SMIDSY at every second junction.

How about a cyclists fast flashing LED light rigged up to a handlebar mounted button. You'd achieve precisely the same thing (if not more so) without destabilising yourself like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

That's what I was thinking but not experienced enough to say so. I'd not be trying that, not on the roads I drive anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't think you have to weave quite that much, even moving out towards the median strip and back in again would change the perspective of the bike relative to the car.
    Regardless of the actual weave part, explaining the mechanics of the smidsy is interesting and can be beneficial.
    There is actually a raceteam in the BSB sponsored by sorrymate.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

Surely better to just stop and let the car out than go weaving around the road like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Surely better to just stop and let the car out than go weaving around the road like that?
    And get hit from behind by some other dozy driver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭positron

Yeah, I didn't like that weaving suggestion either. Wouldn't couple of quick flicks to high-beam and back be more practical and safer?

(PS: Unless the car driver takes that as an invitation to proceed, then you are screwed! Hmm, may be not.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

They don't pull out because they are looking for their phone to report a drunk driver!

Advertisement