Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up Irish bank account from UK address

Options
  • 19-10-2011 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen a number of topics which address the reverse of this situation, but I couldn't see anything about this specifically.

I have a friend who currently lives in Belfast, next month they'll be moving to Dublin to start work here. I've been privy to the mess that is getting PPS numbers and bank accounts setup, so I wanted to give him help on a headstart.

Basically - is it possible for someone with a Belfast address to setup an account with an Irish bank?

If not, is there anyway he can use my address temporarily to set one up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭almalahide

If by any chance they have a current account in Ulster Bank NI they can open one easily enough by calling and explaining the situation, if not sorry not much of a help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

It's hardly a mess, it's the same in every country.
    Some info may be available at http://www.borderpeople.info/.

I think your friend's first step is to apply for a PPS number. Then get a statement of tax credits sent to an address in the republic (possibly your address).

Banks may also accept a letter from his employer providing proof of address is given at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

It very possible to open an account using a northern Ireland address.

Bill and drivers licence is all that's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

It very possible to open an account using a northern Ireland address.

Bill and drivers licence is all that's needed.

I managed it with Ulster Bank. Although this was in 1999 before they made their operations seperate north and south.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    It's hardly a mess, it's the same in every country.
    Some info may be available at http://www.borderpeople.info/.

I think your friend's first step is to apply for a PPS number. Then get a statement of tax credits sent to an address in the republic (possibly your address).

Banks may also accept a letter from his employer providing proof of address is given at a later date.

I like your optimism on that, but having as messy as system as other countries isn't exactly a positive :)

PPS number isn't really possible to get before moving to Ireland (or having proof of residence here first) - it would appear getting a bank account setup first is *slightly* easier.

He does have a Northern Irish Ulster Bank account, so hopefully they'll be able to sort him out easily enough. Thanks for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Tykegolfer

Hi,

I moved to Ireland a couple of years back and opened an account with AIB prior to actually moving to the country. I filled in all of the forms in the branch over here while visiting, they needed proof of my address overseas and sight of my passport, the fact that I was living in the Middle East and had a UK passport made things a little longer but they did open the account with my address in the Middle East. I changed address once I moved here, the whole thing was painful slow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Anti money laundering/know your customer rules will require your friend to provide acceptable proofs of identity(passport/driving licence) and address (bank statement, utility bill, official gov't correspondence) before an account is opened. HE should use those from his NI address. If he attempts to use yours it's likely that he and your address would need to be flagged. Not something you should welcome although unlikely to be any actual negative outcome (beyond rejection).

Advertisement