Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's this?

Options
  • 19-10-2011 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

I have what I think might be a mess cutlery canteen but never having seen one before....

CUTLERY%2B001.JPG

Highland%2BLight%2BInfantry.JPG

It is clearly marked 71st Highland Light Infantry and carries the correct badge for same. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/71st_(Highland)_Regiment_of_Foot
    The carving extends all the way round the box so it's no nicknack and must have had some importance in its day.

But what is it and what value could anybody put on it? I had it in with the BBC Antiques Roadshow on the Isle of Man about ten years ago but they could not give me a definitive answer. It measures 13 inches long, 8 inches wide and 3 inches high. It has always been used for cutlery during my lifetime. My grandfather collected antiques so I don't know whether he bought it or if it was passed down through his family. Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I have no idea what it is. The regimental markings certainly match, but it could be something random & custom made, a one off.

For a valuation you might get a more knowledgable response at GMIC, Gentlemens Military Interest Club, they have a guest's valuation section :

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/forum/221-guests-only/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Thanks Morlar - I have posted there now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Ian7

Hey JD, its a beautiful piece. I'd be inclined to go with Morlar on this one. Probably a bespoke souvenir created while the 71st served abroad. The markings suggest an indian/asian location - i.e. the good luck swastika's, dragons and floral designs. I don't know how far east the 71st served but are dragons found in indian or sri-lankan culture? Interesting piece.

Are there any other markings on the base or inside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Thanks Ian7 - no markings anywhere - not even Made in China! :D

Advertisement