Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mastodon on Later with Jools Holland (Video Inside)

Options
  • 19-10-2011 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

It was great to see Jools giving Mastodon time on ...Later last night, alongside most of the other "bizzare" and far reaching acts that he gives time too it is always great to see that his knowledge of Metal extends beyond the appearance of Metallica - would have been nice to see them get more than one track though

They performed Black Tongue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

It was great to see Jools giving Mastodon time on ...Later last night, alongside most of the other "bizzare" and far reaching acts that he gives time too it is always great to see that his knowledge of Metal extends beyond the appearance of Metallica - would have been nice to see them get more than one track though

I could be wrong, since I only have the poverty channels and can't really watch the show, but isn't Later Live repeated on Fridays with an extended show? So, they might have played more songs and might get to see them then.

But, anyway, it's nice to see our type of music get some attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I could be wrong, since I only have the poverty channels and can't really watch the show, but isn't Later Live repeated on Fridays with an extended show? So, they might have played more songs and might get to see them then.

But, anyway, it's nice to see our type of music get some attention.

You are correct, the show on Tues was 11.50-12.20 irc, usually is an hour long show.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

More Mastodon goodness on BBC 2 tonight, show starts at 11.50. Presumably we will get Black Tongue again, and hopefully something else, Curl Of The Burl maybe?

I think Jools should get more metal bands on, its always the same thing, indie band, soul band, world music band, singer songwriter, etc. Opeth have just released an album which I think would bridge the gap on his show, not too metal but nothing like the usual crap, Gojira would similarly be great to have on. Jools needs to be more openminded about music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Watched the whole lot of Jools lats night, noticed that everyone got 3 turns but Mastodon only got 2.... I call shennanigans!!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

I thought the mix was absolutely atrocious for them. Curl Of The Burl especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Richy06 wrote: »
    I thought the mix was absolutely atrocious for them. Curl Of The Burl especially.
    Yeah, for curl of the burl it was shocking.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I enjoyed the performance - t'was good to hear their vocals sound a bit more album-like, although the vocals for Curl of the Burl were all over the shop mix-wise.

It wasn't just the vocals. The snare sounded like he was hitting a wet arse, the toms sounded lifeless, the bass was buried and Brent Hinds guitar was often the only one to be heard. The vocals were ok, as usual. They really seem to struggle with reproducing their vocal performances live and I think it spoils them a tad. Troy Sanders seems to really struggle these days to do his trademark growly vocals. It would seem a lot of studio magic is in play.

• Advertisement

Why do you think the mix was so bad for a professionally produced TV program about live music?

pdbhp wrote: »
    Watched the whole lot of Jools lats night, noticed that everyone got 3 turns but Mastodon only got 2.... I call shennanigans!!

Only two acts got to do three numbers, Bon Iver and Feist. I think two is plenty to showcase a band, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 WRONGEST

Mastodon just need to lay off the drinking and their voices would be alright, but yeah the mixing of the drums in particular was awful. And you couldn't really hear Bill Kelliher's guitar. I know Brent Hinds plays most of the stuff, but come on BBC, pull your socks up. Let's see Genghis Tron on next time.

Why do you think the mix was so bad for a professionally produced TV program about live music?

Because I have my own ears, funnily enough.

They may be used to running live bands but a band the likes of Mastodon are a bit of an anomaly on the show, which usually features indie/world music/blues et al and very seldom have hard rock of metal on there. I also studied this ****e in college and my best friends are very talented sound engineers, both in live and in studio environments. So maybe I'm a little more discerning? But to be honest I thought the evidence speaks for itself. Having said that, I've seen Mastodon live 7 or 8 times I reckon at this stage and only once have their live sound done them justice - at a headlining gig in the Ambassador afew years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I thought the Black Tongue performance on Jools was very good. The sound was alot better then the Letterman performance (which sounded gick) and Troy's vocals were stronger than usual. Will check out the CotB on Jools now.

Richy06 wrote: »
    Because I have my own ears, funnily enough.

They may be used to running live bands but a band the likes of Mastodon are a bit of an anomaly on the show, which usually features indie/world music/blues et al and very seldom have hard rock of metal on there. I also studied this ****e in college and my best friends are very talented sound engineers, both in live and in studio environments. So maybe I'm a little more discerning? But to be honest I thought the evidence speaks for itself. Having said that, I've seen Mastodon live 7 or 8 times I reckon at this stage and only once have their live sound done them justice - at a headlining gig in the Ambassador afew years back.

Oh all right, I thought the sound was rubbish as well and that there is a conspiracy at the BBC against metal bands to make them sound sh1te if they have no other option but to play them but it seems that their sound engineering problems aren't just limited to the beeb.

Advertisement