Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

interval training

Options
  • 19-10-2011 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

ive been told recently that interval training is best for fatloss... at the moment i normally do 1/2 hour on the cross trainer and 1/2 hour on the bike in the gym 4 times a week ive already lost 3 stone and have 3 more to lose... so thought id give it a try..... any advice for a beginner? keeping in mind im not fit and i hate treadmills lol
    thanks donna x

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not sure why you posted this in the DCU forum, there is a Health and Fitness forum which would be more suitable.

Not sure about fat loss but interval training is a very good workout.

You could start with say on the bike instead of doing around 70rpm (or whatever you do at the moment) constantly for 30 mins try for 80rpm or higher for 30secs or 1 min out of every 5 mins. You'll see then why interval training is harder!

Same with the cross trainer just knock up your speed for 30 secs or a 1min out of every 5.

Then as you get fitter you can increase the speed or time you go at a higher speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

Your going to have to bring some weights into your workout, actually a lot. Your best option would be to talk to one of the instructors in the gym about getting a weights programme made.

Lifting weights is an important aspect to losing weights and also toning up your body. Even doing 20-25 mins weights before a cardio session you will be morning pure fat once you get around to doing the cardio. I'm no expert but get talking to someone in your gym, also the health and fitness forum as the above poster said will have waayyyyy more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dizzyblond

oooops didnt realise i posted in the wrong spot.. thanks guys im going to the gym in an hour and ill give your advice a try

Advertisement