Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon Leaping

Options
  • 19-10-2011 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Can anyone point me in the right direction for seeing Salmon leap up river, I am in the Wicklow area but will travel a bit to see this. Any help greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

The Discovery Channel.
    Or when you say travel a bit, would Alaska be a bit far??:D
    Ireland would have leaping Salmon but I wouldn't imagine it would be worth travelling to see as they wouldn't be in great numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

The Discovery Channel.
    Or when you say travel a bit, would Alaska be a bit far??:D
    Ireland would have leaping Salmon but I wouldn't imagine it would be worth travelling to see as they wouldn't be in great numbers.

:D:D little bit far though I would give my eye teeth to go there, see the big teddy bears catching them....great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 broll

if you were around killary harbour in august you would seen 6 and 7 jumping at the one time.must have been 2000 fish waiting for a flood to run the eriff river.

broll wrote: »
    if you were around killary harbour in august you would seen 6 and 7 jumping at the one time.must have been 2000 fish waiting for a flood to run the eriff river.

Am I too late then? I thought it was around this time of year they all went upstream to the breeding grounds??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭muracan

The salmon weir bridge in Galway.Used to sit there for hours and watch the fish jump.They have an underwater camera in the Fishery office there now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

The Ramparts, Navan, if you time your run correctly and are lucky there can be a good run of salmon.

Thanks for all the replies :) Navan! getting nearer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭wwwboof

scaby arch in slane beatiful spot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

the dargle

fisherking wrote: »
    the dargle

I remember years ago watching them on the Dargle wasnt sure if it still occurred there! Can you recommend a good spot as this is only about 20 mins away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

wwwboof wrote: »
    scaby arch in slane beatiful spot :D

Love that place!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

The weir in Fermoy was like Alaska last year according to the locals. I think 18,000 fish were recorded going past in a week.
    I have a local wee river that gets a few salmon and if im patient I get to spot a few jumping its waterfalls, its not to hard just requires patience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Try driving up Dargle lane and having a look:
    http://maps.google.ie/?ll=53.191295,-6.137254&spn=0.003166,0.008256&t=h&z=18&vpsrc=6

I've seen fisheries board guys driving up there over the last while.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Alexander's falls in the Dargle Vale as a flood fines down. You'll see salmon and sea trout leaping the falls there. PM if you want directions ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

...thats good to know thanks, hang on till I get my net :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

surripere wrote: »
    You wouldn't be the first and you sure won't be the last. :rolleyes:

Wait until I have a few pictures :D

Yes alexes for sure today.. its pissing down !
    slowburner wrote: »
    Alexander's falls in the Dargle Vale as a flood fines down. You'll see salmon and sea trout leaping the falls there. PM if you want directions ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Shamrock Baits Fishing Hunting

Yes there is a part of my local river salmon can been jumping, just out side dundalk,should be good over the next day or two:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BartyFitz

Hi ,
    The weir in Castletown Co. Laois on the river Nore is usually very good around Christmas ,it's just off the old N7.

DSC00875.jpg

Some great shots to be had with a good camera , my camera is to slow for them.

Barty.

• Advertisement

BartyFitz wrote: »
    Hi ,
    The weir in Castletown Co. Laois on the river Nore is usually very good around Christmas ,it's just off the old N7.
    Some great shots to be had with a good camera , my camera is to slow for them.

Barty.
    They must be late runners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

On the Boyne tribs you would get a run even in the new year. Indeed from what I see the bulk of the spawning is now done in the early new year.

Strangely though, even within the Boyne catchment there are tribs that are always earlier than others!

Yes lets keep river waterfalls and weirs on salmon rivers secret?
    In my opinion the more people you tell of this the better
    The dargle is rife with poaching and the more people moping around these spots the better
    Poachers thrive on neglect so im all for people seeing it this marvel
    Do you think anyone who snatches/nets the dargle doesnt know it already

I couldn't agree more.

A good number of fish trying to leap and some making it over today .
    Anything from 2lb to over 15lb .
    Great viewing.

Here is a youtube vid from last Jan.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AchillEye#p/a/u/1/3mbq-O3hZH4

Cheers,
    BartyFitz.

fisherking wrote: »
    Yes lets keep river waterfalls and weirs on salmon rivers secret?
    In my opinion the more people you tell of this the better
    The dargle is rife with poaching and the more people moping around these spots the better
    Poachers thrive on neglect so im all for people seeing it this marvel
    Do you think anyone who snatches/nets the dargle doesnt know it already

Here here

Barty.

Advertisement