Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I open a joint account while abroad?

Options
  • 18-10-2011 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi everyone,

My partner and I are living in USA short term. We would like to open a joint savings account with our bank at home. Is it possible to do so from here, mail or fax documents etc?

Thanks for any info you might have :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Do you have accounts with a bank here already?

If not the bank would need to original sight all ID and address verification. There is cases of this being done via a solicitors undertaken that they copied and verified them but some banks may not accept this.

If you already have a sole bank account then you may not need to be verified for I'd purposes to open a joint account.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bee_l

We both have separate accounts with the bank already, current accounts and a mortgage.
    Thanks for your reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Well in that cause new ID may not be needed. Best to contact your existing branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bee_l

Just a quick update- in a nutshell the answer is no, I cannot open one while abroad! There is an option to open/apply for an online savings account, but you are supposed to reside in Ireland even for this, and it still would not be a joint account :(

Thanks guys.

Advertisement