Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please!

Options
  • 18-10-2011 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi All

I have a Toshiba satellite laptop, its about 4 yrs old now and has 1gb ram.

It has started to get very slow intermittently recently, really struggles to do two relatively simple tasks at once.

I defragmented the hard drive not so long ago, and made a loada space on the harddrive by moving photos etc onto an external h.d.

But that hasnt really made a massive difference to the performance. So the advice im looking for is

(i) Is there anything I can do to improve it (not hugely proficient in computers!)
    (ii) Should i spend the money and get it looked at by someone? Would an extra gig or two RAM help matters and what does that generally cost?

and lastly

Should i not bother with (ii) and just replace the thing?

Any advice greatly appreciated!
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Reinstall the operating system will see the greatest performance boost.

There are other things you can do, but being honest the above is the only sure way.

Some extra RAM would help a lot, you'd get that sorted for 20 quid i'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 mcnallg

Thanks for the advice.

I see you from Rathfarnham, any ideas where bouts in Rathfarnham I could get extra RAM?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

mcnallg wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.

I see you from Rathfarnham, any ideas where bouts in Rathfarnham I could get extra RAM?

I buy all my stuff online being honest. So I don't really know where is cheap.

http://www.crucial.com/

Is good, and pretty cheap.

Advertisement