Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAN-AM (RTE)

Options
  • 18-10-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

I know there's a thread for this already, but that is for those watching online and keeping up with the States. Thought I'd start another one for the RTE series which started last night.

Really liked the look of it, it's glossy, high production values, it's been compared to Mad Men but the only thing in common with that is that they are both set in the 60s. Much more bubblegum, less complex, more mainstream than MM, but enjoyable nonetheless. It has the air of a movie about it, slick, untaxing, good escapism. It touches on the new role of women in the sixties, don't know how much it's going to get into change and society, serious stuff like that along with the stories of characters and relationships. Reckon I'll stick with it.

Oh yeah, and it's got Christina Ricci in it. Always a bonus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

fisgon wrote: »
    Oh yeah, and it's got Christina Ricci in it. Always a bonus.

Maybe not in this case, there appeared to be stronger performances from the other actresses in the pilot - perhaps that'll change in the regular season format when they flesh out the storylines some more.

Looking to get stuck into another drama right now and the aviation aspect is interesting although the vibes aren't too good about this show lasting the long haul!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Looking to get stuck into another drama right now and the aviation aspect is interesting although the vibes aren't too good about this show lasting the long haul!;)

Ba-dum, tish! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm watching the first episode now ... I'm liking the attention to detail, such as the plane, the uniforms, the colours, even the architecture of the soon-to-be-demolished Pan Am Worldport at Idlewild. (I was waiting for someone to call the airport "JFK", but they didn't make that mistake either.) I like it so far. Christina Ricci is so Perky that I'm expecting a future episode to show her high on Pep Pills. :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    . Christina Ricci is so Perky that I'm expecting a future episode to show her high on Pep Pills. :pac:

Yeah, though very underused so far, imagine there's more to come from her character. She's got this strange, quirky beauty, with those big eyes, like some kind of sexy alien. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,624 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Christina Ricci just looks too young for the role imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭coonecb1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Christina Ricci just looks too young for the role imo

Have to say, as a guy I much preferred her when she was a bit plumper.

She still looks gorgeous in an off-beat way, but when she was in The Opposite of Sex she was truly incredible :)

Just watched the second ep. today, and can kind of see why there is talk of it being ppssibly cancelled.
    The show has a lot of potential, but plays everything so safe, it is trying to be so mainstream. By that I mean that it takes no chances, the characters and plots are bland, the whole thing with the two sisters and their 'Mom' made me want to switch off, with its kind of pat sentimentality.
    It looks great, has an attractive cast, but so far is nothing more than bubblegum. It's all soft focus and predictable dialogue and stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

was watching this last night cause there was nothing else on. Thought it was going to be ****e, but its good enough. Roll on next week!;)

Just watched the third episode, about Berlin, and ... weirdly interesting. There's pretty much one thing that's keeping me watching, and it's this:

karine-vanasse.jpg

:D

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

Just watched Episode 6, which has a lot more about Maggie's background. She's a character, all right - quite fascinating. It's on again on Saturday night.

• Advertisement

Any word on why this isn't on tonight?

Edit: Seems we've caught up with the US!

Any word on why this isn't on tonight?

Edit: Seems we've caught up with the US!

Has it been cancelled?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Has it been cancelled?

I'm not sure, but I heard the rumours. I think I'm in the minority of people that actually like it!

It returns to RTE 2 late tonight

Advertisement