Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal In Media

Options
  • 18-10-2011 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭

I ran this by the final boss, so it should be okay.

I thought that a thread were we give each other a heads up about Rock and Metal themed items are appearing in the media, such as a night of Metal on BBC Four, or articles in newspapers covering Metal artists/gigs/etc. I thought it would just be a nifty place to shove everything in and avoid from creating new threads.

But I would by lying if I did not mention there is method to my madness... I will be doing a weekly show on Wednesday mornings from 8-9am on 101.3 Flirt FM with goes out on FM throughout the Galway county area, and across the world on the Flirt FM website. It's a music library programme, so I plan on covering more genres than just Rock/Metal, but I won't forget about you! ;) My co-presenter is a bit of an Indiehead and will be choosing 50% of the music on the show, just so you know.

So it all kicks off tomorrow morning, and if I must be honest, on review of my own playlist for it I think it's a bit average, but I promise to improve it for next weeks show. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

best of luck with the show nails!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Starting with Pantera and ending with Annihilator...

obama-not-bad.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

There was quite a big (non taking the piss) piece in the Irish Times recently on Irish metal. Primordial feature here - click 'Loud Proud & Hairy' link for an Irish scene overview.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Good luck with the show OP

It's good to see an article about Primordial, would be nice to see them get more reconsideration in their home country - we need to escape a lot of how the media still portrays this country, and Primordial not being well known in their own country is quite frankly, in 2011, shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Argh, I managed to miss this. Hope it went well!
    Primordial not being well known in their own country is quite frankly, in 2011, shocking.
    It's not really though. Metal is a niche genre and Primordial combine two niche metal genres (Black and Folk) so their catchment area is already going to be quite small. Any well-informed Irish metal fan I've ever spoken to has known who they are. I wouldn't expect the X-Factor watching masses to be able to identify them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I've heard the Irish Times had a hugely positive response to the piece and are considering featuring more metal in future. Dunno if that's true though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Malice wrote: »
    Argh, I managed to miss this. Hope it went well!
    Primordial not being well known in their own country is quite frankly, in 2011, shocking.
    It's not really though. Metal is a niche genre and Primordial combine two niche metal genres (Black and Folk) so their catchment area is already going to be quite small. Any well-informed Irish metal fan I've ever spoken to has known who they are. I wouldn't expect the X-Factor watching masses to be able to identify them.

my suspicion is it depends on how a country treats it. In Scandinavia they wear metal on their sleeve, Sepultura may have been Brasil's biggest pop export and they gave it the attention it got at home. Were the no.1 pop outfit there and in the public eye as such, around the time of Chaos AD.

Far as music goes we portray ourselves as twee timid twats. or the man upstairs does.. reflecting society? These are fluffy times at our most rockin U2 were our sepultura, in a sense. I'm sure Horslips were I the public eye way back but that imagery of long hair and knuckle dusters is just not for this time and place

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Same Sabbath story, different week. To be honest...

Also remember to tune in tomorrow, nothing new on it but still great tracks on it for fans of all genres, not just Metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭icanplaydrums

Not sure if anyone does or doesn't know about it but Phantom FM do a Metal show "Metal Notes" every Monday night. Normally play some good stuff and good competitions are ran. (I won the 25th anniversary version of Peace Sells a while back) Worth a look

Here's this mornings show, up nice and fast in comparison to other shows, let me know what you think and all that jazz (it's a student station, so don't expect me to be a pro). ;) Also, bear in mind my co-presenter loves his Indie and Alternative stuff and will be picking 50% of the tracks. It'll be nice to see who can guess which songs is mine... Just out of fun. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

i don't think i've ever seen The Libertines following Strapping Young Lad, that made me smile, I think I can solidly guess what tracks are yours

The Libertines actually followed Meshuggah, which followed Strapping Young Lad. But point taken. :P

Hi all,

Sorry for bumping the thread, but I'm just posting up to let you know I'm doing a Heavy Metal special on my radio show tomorrow morning at 8, it'll feature artists like Immortal, Fear Factory and Obituary if you're looking for the general jist of it in case you are interested in listening! It's a show I have always wanted to do since I started last October, so if other folks enjoy it that would give me great pleasure.

The show is called the Wednesday Music Library and it's on Flirt FM which can be heard all over Galway County on 101.3 FM and online on the website here at 8am to 9am. If any of you decide to listen to it I'd love to hear you're feedback! I hope you enjoy it, cheers!

Edit: I may also back you all into a corner and force you to listen to the archive of it ;)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Nailz wrote: »
    Hi all,

Sorry for bumping the thread, but I'm just posting up to let you know I'm doing a Heavy Metal special on my radio show tomorrow morning at 8, it'll feature artists like Immortal, Fear Factory and Obituary if you're looking for the general jist of it in case you are interested in listening! It's a show I have always wanted to do since I started last October, so if other folks enjoy it that would give me great pleasure.

The show is called the Wednesday Music Library and it's on Flirt FM which can be heard all over Galway County on 101.3 FM and online on the website here at 8am to 9am. If any of you decide to listen to it I'd love to hear you're feedback! I hope you enjoy it, cheers!

Edit: I may also back you all into a corner and force you to listen to the archive of it ;)
    Great show! Nice to get a little mention there too! :P

cournioni wrote: »
    Great show! Nice to get a little mention there too! :P
    T'is no bother lad! :P You're technically the co-DJ as you picked a few tracks over the phone too, great picks too, savage riff in Zwitter! ;)

For those of you who'd link to hear the show it is linked below, I'd love to hear some feedback, so if you got some don't hesitate to shout!

http://i.mixcloud.com/CBHvPp

Advertisement