Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike Ideas

Options
  • 18-10-2011 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Alright, it's done.

I've sold my first bike.
    3 years since buying it to learn on, I sold it this morning and didn't lose a cent in value.

So, the search begins for my "second bike".

Can anyone give me any tips?

My only requirements are:
    1. It's got to be a "naked" bike.
      (Why? I just prefer the look / seating position / etc!)
    2. Comfort for me isn't an issue, but I've got to be able to take the missuz around on it occasionally. (I don't have a car!)
    3. Most important, and awkward of all, it's got to be relatively unique / rare.
      My old bike wasn't that common where I live, (and I guess I'm being a vain arse), but it was nice to have people come up to you and ask about it, where I bought it, etc...
      It also helps (and helped) re-sale!

I haven't narrowed down the search at all, at all, but, just to give you an idea of what kinds of bikes I was looking at:
    • KTM - Superduke
    • Triumph - Speed Triple
    • BMW - K1300R
    • MV Agusta - Brutale
    • Ducati - Streetfighter
    • Moto Guzzi - Griso
    • Aprilia - Tuono

Before anyone looks at that list and asks if I won the lotto; I won't be buying any of these new! As I said as well, I don't own a car or anything, and have been saving the cents since I realised I loved biking 3 and a half years ago!

Let me know your thoughts!
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

pillon seating will be an issue on a good few of those - prob all bar the k13 tbh :p

it going to be a daily driver/commuter?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

No; between the bus/train/bicycle and the motorbike itself, I won't be commuting on it every day. (Maybe 60% of the time). She also won't be commuting with me.

If there's any other bike that fits the bill; let me know!
    (I'm really not sure what to aim for!)

Edit: You'd surely fit a decent sized arse on a Griso, no?
    http://www.smartcycleshopper.com/images/articles/NEWS/MotoGuzzi_Griso/Moto_Guzzi_Griso_8v_02.jpg

Edit 2: Now that I think about it, an aftermaket seat would be available for all of the above, wouldn't it? Again, it's not really a comfort thing; I don't plan to do a "long way round" with her on it; just to work the odd time, maybe a few 20 mile trips, and one or two 100's per year. The bike really is for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

well theres some gorgeous bikes from the glaringly missing big four :) and tbh, if you keep the bike clean and shiny, and look after it, you'll have people coming up and chatting to you no matter what it is

theres an absolutely gorgeous special edition bandit I see on my commute, that looks great, and very well kept for example. Another lad I used to do runs with had an immaculate z750, and again was such a head turner

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Well; now that you mention it, I quite fancy the look of Kawasaki's Z1100R.
    http://img.dinkos.com.au/images/11/1189590688.jpg

Or a tasty Yamaha MT-01:
    http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/253381/images/01MT-01.jpg

And it's not so much of a "showing off" thing; but instead going outside, hopping onto the bike, and knowing that for the duration of your spin, you won't pass another bike like the one you're sitting on.

Jaysus, I sound like a serious clown now, but I suppose I'm saying that I'm looking for something different to a standard Bandit / Hornet, y'know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

2012-triumph-speed-triple.jpg

Next!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭amacca

I've sold my first bike.
    3 years since buying it to learn on, I sold it this morning and didn't lose a cent in value.

really curious (possible nosey)........what bike didn't lose in value with 3 years of ownership?

• KTM - Superduke
    • Triumph - Speed Triple
    • BMW - K1300R
    • MV Agusta - Brutale
    • Ducati - Streetfighter
    • Moto Guzzi - Griso
    • Aprilia - Tuono

if you ended up choosing from that list assuming you have the budget for a good secondhand one I would go for the Ducati there..... (wont be as upright a seating position as ypu might like though I think).

I like a lot of Guzzis but I think the Griso looks fcuk ugly...............love the Brutale but if you had an issue it could be costly to put right.

Ive no experience of them but the speed triple is meant to be a great bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Benelli TNT? Chances of meeting another are slim enough! I've only ever seen three.

There was one attracting attention on Douglas prom in a crowd of several hundred bikes during the TT this year.

Advertisement