Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice required on property treatment after separating from partner

Options
  • 17-10-2011 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have recently separated from my partner and we have an investment in an apartment in Dublin - we were owner/occupier. Due to the state of the economy, the simple option of selling and going our separate ways isn’t, I believe, an option for us due to massive negative equity.

I’m searching for advice as to the best way of resolving the issue. If someone has gone through a similar situation I’d really like to hear your advice or if anyone could provide suggestions/some insight into possible solutions or information on professionals who I can work with such as Financial Advisers / Accountants / Pension Advisors / Solicitors.

Areas for discussion that I have come up with:

Apartment investment options i.e. what are the alternatives; for example:
    •Should we sell and realise a loss;
    •Turn into business arrangement rent until market has levelled off which could take 10-15 year approx.
    •Default/sell/write-off loss as a result of a forced sale – but what implication does this mean for us –I couldn’t afford to fund a €125k loss;
    •Change ownership to one person – yes moves all liability to one person but severs ties and makes a clean break.

Means of raising funds to cover 1) Loss of approx. €125k each if we sold at current market levels and/or 2) Repayment of half deposit of €28,000. Could I look to:
    •Unsecured loans e.g. credit unions other financial institution
    •Pension – I have 2 pensions can I:
    •Access this without tax implications;
    •Can I move pension off-shore back home to New Zealand for example, untaxed and not penalised and bring it back to pay for loss.

Any assistance would be much appreciated as I just need something to start with and this should start opening up a plan of action for me, as currently I actually don’t know where to start.

Background: I’m from New Zealand, ex partner Irish. I have been living and working in Ireland for 6-7 years.

This might be in the incorrect thread – please advise if it is.

Thank you for any assistance / advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Were you both first time buyers (FTB) ? or was one of you a FTB? Reason I ask is that in some cases, to obtain the FTB exemption, one person was put on the title but were allowed to take out a joint mortgage. This could be a very important point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Neon10

Thank you very much for your post stepbar. We were both FTB's - both on the mortgage and I'm certain that we are both on the title. I will confirm this as soon as possible. Are you saying that if only one of us was on the title this would be a way of removing one name from the mortgage?

Advertisement