Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical repeat year, no HEC grant - elligible for any benefits?

Options
  • 17-10-2011 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I did a year in Trinity last year but due to a bad illness didnt complete the year. This year I successfully qualified for a medical repeat and have begun 1st year Arts in UCD. The medical repeat covered the first 3,000 or whatever it is of my fees and I applied for the HEC grant again, which I had qualified for the year before. I was turned down because they only give grants to students on medical repeat grounds if they repeated the same course - because I changed course I'm apparently not elligible. That means I still have an outstanding 2,000 of my college fees and do not get the 1,200 disposable cash to spend on college day to day stuff.

I havent been able to get any sort of job and my mum claims the dole so finding it tough to get the cash to get through the year. Just wondering would any of the wise folks on this know if I'm elligible for any sort of benefits from the government or am I doomed to go it alone?

Cheers for any advice.

Advertisement