Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording Vinyl in Ableton

Options
  • 17-10-2011 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

I want to start archiving some of my vinyl using Ableton.

The tools I have at my disposal are Ableton 7, Technics 1210, Shure M44-7 and a Native Instruments Audio 6 (with a built in phone pre-amp).

I can't afford to buy anything else, like a top-end archiving needle, so I'm stuck with what I have.

Basically, I want to get my vinyl ripped with the best sound quality possible, given the equipment I have. I'm not going to be playing in clubs, so I'm not interested in any kind of post-production work, removing noise, etc. Good enough for home use, and maybe a small bar set up. That would be sufficient.

Can someone talk me through the process. I'm hearing stuff like 'normalising' the tracks being mentioned, but I'm not sure what it is, or if it's necessary?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Ableton will add an unnesesary level of complexity I believe. Try playing around with Audacity which is free and do everything you want with a smaller learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Get something to clean your vinyl properly, they sell solution and cloth in Tower for about a tenner. That'll help the sound a lot.

I'd use Audacity too.

Advertisement