Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Recovery Help Please!!!

Options
  • 16-10-2011 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Could someone please give me someone advice?! We have a heat recovery system which seems to be working grand.

Our problem is that we have condensation on the inside of our windows in the mornings?

Is this a fault of our windows or the heat recovery system?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Lisa76 wrote: »
    Could someone please give me someone advice?! We have a heat recovery system which seems to be working grand.

Our problem is that we have condensation on the inside of our windows in the mornings?

Is this a fault of our windows or the heat recovery system?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to answer with questions!
    Is the condensation an ongoing phenomenon or just at the start of the heating season?

Reason I ask is that even in a well heated ,ventilated house the moisture levels will be high at the start of the heating season and the very quickly recede (within a week of the heating being turned on) leading to some condensation. But in our current changeable very humid/warm weather this may take a bit longer.

Is your house new, is it still drying out possibly?

Depending on the build type, it can take more than a year for a new house to fully dry out

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Sorry to answer with questions!
    Is the condensation an ongoing phenomenon or just at the start of the heating season?

Reason I ask is that even in a well heated ,ventilated house the moisture levels will be high at the start of the heating season and the very quickly recede (within a week of the heating being turned on) leading to some condensation. But in our current changeable very humid/warm weather this may take a bit longer.

Is your house new, is it still drying out possibly?

Depending on the build type, it can take more than a year for a new house to fully dry out

and whats the overall u-value of the windows. moist air condenses on cold surfaces

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lisa76

Thanks for the replies.

Our house is about 10 months old so it could be fair to say it is still drying out.

Hard to say if the condensation is related to the heating. At the end of March it was a lovely week (no need for heat but nights were cool) we had guests staying and when they woke condensation was 1/4 of the way up the window?! Room is 3x3 metres.

Not sure of u value of windows will have to find out from project manager.

We are in the process of getting reveils on all the windows replaced as they were badly cut and appeared to let in some air?! Not sure if this will solve problem.

Any other suggestions, thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Do you have ventilation when the heating is off ??

Back in march your house would only have been 3/4 months after completion and may still have been drying out..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lisa76

We have a heat recovery system. We were wondering if that has been commissioned properly?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Lisa76 wrote: »
    We have a heat recovery system. We were wondering if that has been commissioned properly?!
    is there an air vent pumping into the room? and if so where is the nearest extract point?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 newbie4

Its probably a cold bridge, I am in the heat recovery buisness. I have been called out to jobs with excessive condensation(not jobs i have done btw) But each time I would say it was a cold bridge or draugh in windows, Checked out the heat recovery with air flo meter
    and each time it was quiet close to what it should be doing
    If you are re-doing reveals try puttin on some airtight membrane b4 replastering should help lots

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭fitzie79

i am having similar issues in my house. there is often condensation in the en-suite and occasionally in the master bedroom windows. these problems only surface during cold nights. does this suggest that it may be cold bridging or there a check that i can do to see if the problem may be related to the hrv

• Registered Users Posts: 5,649 ✭✭✭creedp

fitzie79 wrote: »
    i am having similar issues in my house. there is often condensation in the en-suite and occasionally in the master bedroom windows. these problems only surface during cold nights. does this suggest that it may be cold bridging or there a check that i can do to see if the problem may be related to the hrv

I have this problem also which all but goes away when the nights are mild but returns again if we get hit by a cold night. Other than that if wet clothes are left in the utility room a substantial amount of condensation can build up on the bottom of the window/door glass and metal handles. For a while I turned up the MHRV speed and this also cleared the problem (except for the clothes in the utility room) but it also made to unit quite noisy so I recently adjusted the speed to the normal setting. I am hoping it is related to the drying out of house which I am told can take a year or so!

Advertisement