Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you extend an overdraft with AIB?

Options
  • 16-10-2011 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

I am a college student and I applied for an overdraft in September. It was for 250 euro. I am currently 180 euro into my overdraft and I would like to extend it to 500. I will be able to pay it back in full in November. So paying it back won't be a worry. I have tried online to extend it and can't find anything on there website about extending it so what is the best way to extend it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Go into the bank. It will need to be approved by the manager and there will usually be a fee for this. I'd recommend getting a credit card over using an overdraft facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Does an aib student overdraft charge a set up fee and interest? Shocking.

Head to UB for a interest free overdraft and/or a interest free credit card with a min limit of €650.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Head to UB for a interest free overdraft and/or a interest free credit card with a min limit of €650.

Do you work for Ulster Bank?

Talk to your bank op.

amdublin wrote: »
    Do you work for Ulster Bank?

Talk to your bank op.

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭Wats_in_a_name

No fee for AIB student overdraft. Got myself a €500 one there a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭vinn

simple ask

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Where the hell did this post come from. What has the above got to do with anything the op asked? Where did anyone say anything about charges and interest? Of course AIB don't for student products - no bank does. And why would the op suddenly want to move to UB? All he/she wants to know is how to apply for a temp overdraft extension. Please save your selling of UB for another thread.

OP, to answer your question, what you are looking for is a temporary increase in the limit. You say you will be able to pay it back in November. Is that definite? Is the overdraft already guaranteed by your parents? If the answer to both those questions is yes, then I can't see why they wouldn't give it to you.

Best bet is to phone or call into your branch tomorrow. By calling in, you should be able to get everything done there and then, whereas, by phone, they would probably have to post the papers out for you to sign and then post back, so it would add a few days/week on to the whole application process.

Came from my head, and the fact that banks should atleast give free stuff to students. Anyhow, my post was slightly more helpful than vinn, why don't you give out to him.

Not sure what part of saving money could not be helpful to the op. well op as dots man says you should do that. I'll show myself out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I am a college student and I applied for an overdraft in September. It was for 250 euro. I am currently 180 euro into my overdraft and I would like to extend it to 500. I will be able to pay it back in full in November. So paying it back won't be a worry. I have tried online to extend it and can't find anything on there website about extending it so what is the best way to extend it?

What would you have done if there was no internet? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I mucked up my application and went with a lower limit (€500 instead of €1000) and when I asked to get it bumped I was refused because it hadn't been six months since my last limit raise/opening the overdraft. This is just like AIB credit cards and I have a Graduate account.

• Advertisement
Advertisement