Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could someone help me with a translation please?

Options
  • 16-10-2011 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm doing a FÁS IT course, but because of family commitments I have to start late once a week.

One of the lads always greets me "trathnona maith".

How would I say back to him something along the lines "I've got an excuse for being late. If you've got an excuse for being a sarcastic b****x I'd love to hear it."

It doesn't have to be exactly that, just something with a similar meaning.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

No offence intended here, but I reckon you should probably get a sense of humour instead of hoping to learn off some convoluted translation of an insult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭General Michael Collins

The Irish language Community Universally disapproves of your lack of humour.

I'm the official spokesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Tá mé ar chúis as a bheith déanach. Ná cuir é seo a rá gach uair, mar a bhfuil sé goilliúnach.

I've got a reason for being late. Please do not say this every time, as it is hurtful.

This seems more polite and if you have a genuine reason I am sure the other person will understand. I will not give you insults as it is not my place to prolong a feud.

My translation may be a little wrong as I am English and not fluent in the language myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Rubecula wrote: »
    Tá mé ar chúis as a bheith déanach. Ná cuir é seo a rá gach uair, mar a bhfuil sé goilliúnach.
    Tá cúis agam le bheith déanach. Ní gá é seo a rá gach uair, mar tá sé goilliúnach.

Alternatively,

Imigh leat tí a' diabhail. Ní bhaineann sé leat a bheag nó a mhór.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rhedyn

Roisin G wrote: »
    "trathnona maith"

It's a greeting.
    Do you expect him to say "good morning" in the afternoon? :(

• Advertisement

Rhedyn wrote: »
    It's a greeting.
    Do you expect him to say "good morning" in the afternoon? :(
    I suspect that the OP arrives a few minutes late and misses the start rather than arriving in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭EddyC15

"Fán fada ort, ba striapach í do mháthair."

That'd put him back in his box.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Sounds like OP is just looking for a way to give a smart reply as banter, not through lack of humour.

Caithfidh mise bheith mall gach Luan, ach is bómán tú féin gach uile lá sa tseachtain.

I have to be late every Monday (or whichever day), but you're an eejit every single day of the week.

Or something like that?

Advertisement