Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Import duty on this.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

nophd08 wrote: »
    Hi all, has anyone any idea (roughly) what the duty might be on this
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/campers/2415266
    Mileage is high so any feedback on potential problems is welcome.

Jaysus donedeal is really slow and a bump for ya.

10% of 90% whatever revenue deems the open market sales price I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

VRT is 13.5% of the OMSP, but at a rough guess I'd say it would be somewhere like €500 odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Thanks lads for replies, Apparently the 2.4, 5 cylinder VW engine was not their best creation, sluggish and thirsty. So i'm told by a lad who eats, sleeps and breathes VW.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Thanks lads for replies, Apparently the 2.4, 5 cylinder VW engine was not their best creation, sluggish and thirsty. So i'm told by a lad who eats, sleeps and breathes VW.:)

Now. That ad does not state at all, what engine is in that.

What engine is in there ?

If it's the 2.4D diesel, it would be 78 bhp and it would have a bit of torque, but it wouldn't be fast, by any means alright. It wouldn't be the most fuel efficient engine either, still better than the petrol ones though. The 2.4D however does handle a lot of milage. My first T4 was a '93 2.4D automatic and it's headgasket blew due to some coolant issues at over 600000 km on the clock and being 13 years old. I had it for nearly 7 years.

I've had several T4's now. The engines to go for are the TDI engines, if you want a bit of pace.

Things to check, if you buy that, is rust under the plastic covers in the door steps and in the arches. If those spots are ok, the remainder of the van should also be ok.

Electrics: make sure everything works. At the age those vans are approaching there can be breaks in the cables, especially in the joints in the doors.

Check when the timing belt/water pump last was changed. This has to be done every 60k miles/90k km.

Bar that, it's pretty straight forward and I can't fail them in any way.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Marlow wrote: »
    Now. That ad does not state at all, what engine is in that.

What engine is in there ?

If it's the 2.4D diesel, it would be 78 bhp and it would have a bit of torque, but it wouldn't be fast, by any means alright. It wouldn't be the most fuel efficient engine either, still better than the petrol ones though. The 2.4D however does handle a lot of milage. My first T4 was a '93 2.4D automatic and it's headgasket blew due to some coolant issues at over 600000 km on the clock and being 13 years old. I had it for nearly 7 years.

I've had several T4's now. The engines to go for are the TDI engines, if you want a bit of pace.

Things to check, if you buy that, is rust under the plastic covers in the door steps and in the arches. If those spots are ok, the remainder of the van should also be ok.

Electrics: make sure everything works. At the age those vans are approaching there can be breaks in the cables, especially in the joints in the doors.

Check when the timing belt/water pump last was changed. This has to be done every 60k miles/90k km.

Bar that, it's pretty straight forward and I can't fail them in any way.

/M

You're right, it does'nt say, but the owner did say it was the 2.4D, cos I emailed him..:D I'm after the TDI, but if that one was very cheap I might have gone for it.
    Thanks for your info.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

You're right, it does'nt say, but the owner did say it was the 2.4D, cos I emailed him..:D I'm after the TDI, but if that one was very cheap I might have gone for it.
    Thanks for your info.

A TDI is preferable alright. Both for performance and fuel consumption.

As for durability and issues listed above, they apply to both the 2.4D and the TDI's.

I've got a '99 TDI currently with nearly 400000 km on the clock now. We dyno'ed it earlier this year and it put out 100.9 bhp of the original 102 bhp on the dyno. That is with a service more than overdue (which might have solved the missing 1.1 bhp) and about 365000 km on the clock at the time. My bus has the first engine, the first clutch, until recently the first shocks and springs, which I now have replaced with a sports suspension. Not because I had to, but because I wanted better handling.

I've also just got parts from a Taxi '01 TDI in the last few weeks, that had been scrapped as the engine let go. When I reconnected the dials, it had 450000 miles on the clock. That is 725000 km. The bus was still mint, so if the owner just had replaced the engine, he'd get the same out of it again. He scrapped it because he immigrated anyhow. Now, this would be a T4, that has been driving 365 days a year, nearly 24x7 around the clock. And it tells you a bit about durability on these cars.

As for fuel consumption, I get around 30-33 mpg of mine. And that's even when I pull a car trailer with a heavy car on the back + I do not drive light footed.

The 102 bhp FWD will top out around 110 mph and it'll do that rock solid, any day.

The 78 bhp 2.4D will top out at around 87 mph and it'll be pretty fuel consuming at that point. To keep it sort of at considerable fuel consumption you'd have to stick under 60 mph.

All of the figures apply to a T4 with a low roof. A high roofer like the camper you linked might have slightly worse figures, but will be similar enough.

/M

Advertisement