Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike Hand Turn Signals

Options
  • 15-10-2011 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

passed my motorbike test yesterday :-)

Screwed up one of the test questions thought - hand signals.

The rules of the road gives these!

mmwppu.jpg

What are the basic operations one does in terms of controlling the bike through a turn?
    Break, drop gear, lean, keep the throttle steady but open - right?

Why do the Dept. of Transport want us to give up control of our main brake and throttle when there are much better solutions involving our left hand?

Am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I don't think it's safe to use the hand signal through the turn, I think the diagram means to hand signal before the manouvre (sp).

PS. Congratulations on passing the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭uncle betty

Interesting question. I passed my test at Castlemungret, and that was the only thing I was pulled up on as well.

I started to give the bike signals and the instructor interrupted me and said ''that's for a bicycle''.

Don't understand the logic. Anyway, there it is in black and white.

Congrats on pasing, and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭simplybam

These hand signals are definitely to be used before the actual move to warn and inform people behind you of your intentions. That's why it states: i am going to ... When executing the maneuver your hands should be firmly on the handlebar!

I did my license about 25 years ago in East Germany and my first moped didn't have indicators, so that's the way we did it back then.

Congrats on passing the test and happy biking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

i was never asked them before the test but after he checked over the bike at the initial part of the test everything was fine but when pulling out of the test center itself my front right indicator bulb went.. so after a few right turns he pulled me over and asked if i had noticed, i said i had only just noticed it, we continued and for the rest of the test i had to make hand signals...
    But only of course sitting stationary and only when turning right...but how random...

As for those only being for cyclists there is no other indication in the rules of the road book so i would say that they are the ones to use... but maybe i am wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Wasn't asked them meself.
    I would do them before the turn to show my intention to turn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭Alkers

While I did lessons before my test I was told to do the handsignals with my elbow at hip level. It's much easier and much more stable than attempting to replicate the cyclist ones as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Signalling when stopped like above is all well and good, but when in motion it's suicide.

I'll see if I can rouse anyone in the Dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

I was wondering that for ages before my test. When the instructor asked me I said it really isnt clear and doesnt make sense. But showed him what it says for cyclists, and he said its right.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Hand signals Can and should be used when necessary on the move, but then you need to put your hand back on the bars to brake and turn.

Advertisement