Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a PC (Advice please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

For 500/600 you can get something better.

You will be gaming on it ?

Do you have to order from Ireland or would you mind ordering from Germany? (we all recommend an excellent site there)

32 bit Windows 7 will use a maximum of about 3.2 gigs of ram, which is "sufficient".
    However people prefer 64bit because it will use as much as they can put in the machine.

4 gigs is optimal at the moment, but many users are opting to slap in 8 gigs into their machines (bc ram is also so cheap at the moment)

SSD's are probably the single biggest improvement you can add to a PC, think of it as a smaller but more expensive harddrive that works at about 5 times faster.

However since they are so small (60 gigs = 100 euros approx) people just use them as the system drive (windows 7 and applications) and then they have a second 1 tb "normal" drive which contains all their games, movies, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Hi Jonny what are SSD's?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭LittleMc95

Oh could I?

It wouldn't be specifically for gaming, I do do a bit of gaming but I would also be using it for Video editing and Photoshopping etc...

And beside the ram side of things is there any other difference in the two os's?

yeah i would want to have that bit more ram in my pc as youve said its no to expensive.

Whats the advantage of having the OS on an SSD? and could the applications and all go to the other normal HDD? and would a 32gb or any smaller be sufficient for the OS to be installed to?

Also I haven't really decided on a place to buy yet Elara was just to get a price for the moment so Germany isnt out of the question..?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

What will you be using it for? Do you want to play games on it? Can you pay with bank transfer or credit card. If its not a gaming computer this will outperform the one you picked out:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €317.46 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i3-2100 Box, LGA1155|€100.28
    MSI H61M-P25 (B3)|€49.50
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€34.67
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)|€49.34
    Xigmatek Asgard III Midi Tower - black, ohne Netzteil|€32.63
    Antec BasiQ VP350|€35.00
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA|€16.04

Edit: Oh you do want to do some gaming, give me a minute and I'll have another build.

Edit 2: Right here's one for gaming, photoshop etc.

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €538.81 + €30 shipping
    MSI H61M-P25 (B3)|€49.50
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€34.67
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)|€49.34
    Xigmatek Asgard III Midi Tower - black, ohne Netzteil|€32.63
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA|€16.04
    Intel Core i5-2400 Box, LGA1155|€164.06
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€40.88
    Club 3D Radeon 6870 1024MB, AMD Radeon HD 6870, PCI-Express|€151.69

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

LittleMc95 wrote: »
    Whats the advantage of having the OS on an SSD? and could the applications and all go to the other normal HDD? and would a 32gb or any smaller be sufficient for the OS to be installed to?

If you put the OS on an extremely fast harddrive, then the computer boots up very quickly and the programs load very fast.

Using the SSD (solid state drive) to store films/games etc is pretty pointless at the moment because of cost
    1tb normal mechanical drive = 50 euros
    64 gb SSD = 75 to 100 euros

Youtube has good videos of SSD's in action

Your saying that the Build youve listed above would be better? hmm ill have a look anyway.

also would i have to install applications to the ssd also?

Advertisement