Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Education?

Options
  • 14-10-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

More a logical follow on from Malice's thread and iroced's educated approach to inspiring newcomers to the metal scene and from checking out this new band Nun****ritual (it's the 'f' word that goes in there) over at gunshyassassin.com than any truly original idea.

I was thinking a thread for recommendations and information based on found tracks that caught the fancy of the uninitiated might be a decent gateway? Obviously it could also potentially help some of us evolve the scope of our listening habits in some small way. There is potential for some serious long-winded discussion here so I don't know how successful an idea it could be, but **** it, let's start with an example:

I found this here track about half an hour ago and the attached news story mentioned members of Nuclear Assault and Mayhem were a part of the project. I'm digging this tune, so can someone point me to music like it and to good albums to check out by both aforementioned bands?

News: http://gunshyassassin.com/news/nun****ritual-detail-forthcoming-debut-disc/#more-17777

Note to Malice or mods: I dunno how to get 'thread' to become a button to link to the thread mentioned http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056416053 so could you edit as appropriate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

Haha Dan Liliker, the Samuel L.Jackson of metal musicians...

Despite the crap name and terrible cover art, that actually doesn't sound too bad. For more of that mid-paced, atmospheric black metal, try a couple of these - apologies if there's anything too obvious in there. Not 100% the same sound, but fairly similar.

Samael - Blood Ritual
    Blut Aus Nord - Fathers of The Icy Age
    Grand Belial's Key - Kosherat
    Necromantia - Scarlet Evil Witching Black

edit: as regards the Mayhem/Nuclear Assault link: although this project sounds nothing like Nuclear Assault, their 'Game Over' album is a great bit of crossover thrash. For the track you linked, the Mayhem album 'De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas' is worth checking out, some of the best black metal ever written.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

Yeah I figured Nuclear Assault and Mayhem were in a different vein, I'm aware of the bands but have never paid any attention to them, so that's my education on the subject begun. Never been a follower of black metal or that general area so I'm not well acquainted with any suggestions that will come my way, I'll go check out those albums, cheers! That's the general idea I was going for on the thread, ya dig a band, ya learn a little of the genre, influence, history, pertinent data to draw on for further self-education.

Advertisement