Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lost bank draft, anything i can do?

Options
  • 14-10-2011 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

I got a sterling bank draft as a gift from my sister last year but could not lodge it as it did not have any of the IBAN numbers on the bottom of the draft.
    I have since lost the draft, cannot find it anywhere.
    is it possible for my sister to trace it back to the bank she got it for or is it a lost cause now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

She can go to the bank where she bought the draft and put a stop on the one she bought and the bank can issue a new one in its place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

As rebel said.

However being a fx draft it will have to have a stop placed with the clearing bank and this can take a while. So have patience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Not so sure folks. Bank drafts are not exactly like chqs. They are more similar to cash really tbh.....I.e. they are garanteed by the issuing bank and do not have to clear.

They are difficult to cancel. The person who purchased the draft plus the person who it is made out to may have to sign a type of avidavit stating they will not attempt to cash original draft if it turns up. Or something to indemnify the bank against losses if someone elses manages to cash it.

How much is it for?

Intersting one.....contact the bank and let us know what they say!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ps. Google "can I cancel a bank draft" and see what it throws up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Very true. They'll have to sign an indemnity and it can only be cancelled once the prove it's not been cashed, hence the time wait.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Your sister will have to sign an indemnity and she'll also most likely be charged to stop the draft. If she pops into the branch where the draft was purchased she should be able to do it. It would be a massive help if she had the receipt for it.

Advertisement