Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank accounts and gambling

Options
  • 14-10-2011 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

A worker in BOI I was talking to recently said it is shocking the amount of gambling online young people are doing with bookmakers. I was a little bit startled by this revelation, now, not that there is a lot of online gambling taking place, but that this woman from BOI knows. So my question is, can she see what someone has withdraw or deposited from Paddy, Boyles or Bet365 for example? This is, imo, a gross intrusion of privacy. Can these people see what things we have bought with our credit/debit cards and the places we have stayed as well, for example?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Well what about the massive gambling the BANKS did that brought this country to its knees! she say anything about that of course not. Banks got away with murder and still are!!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

Good point. I used to think these employees know nothing that goes on, but maybe they do! :rolleyes: Paid to keep their mouths shut maybe. That would be a traitors wage they are receiving...traitors to Ireland. Personally, I would def join the dole even for a quarter of the pay than work for a bank, because I would be complicit in the financial terrorism and the financial pillage of my country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Yes, yes they can.

And they have been known to refuse loans and mortgages on that basis too.

Use a third party when loading up online: NetTeller, WorldPay and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭wingsof daun

tricky D wrote: »
    Yes, yes they can.

And they have been known to refuse loans and mortgages on that basis too.

Use a third party when loading up online: NetTeller, WorldPay and the like.

:confused: I wouldn't mind if they have a central place in Dublin that looks at all these accounts, but I don't like if the people working in the banks of our towns throughout Ireland can see our activities. If I go into lodge money I might not want the person behind they counter to see all my transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

They can see all your transactions even the person behind the counter.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

They can see all your transactions even the person behind the counter.

Oh that's why the woman from customer services send me out a leaflet for Gamblers Anon, all makes sense now:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

At least she didn't ask you for a tip ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Megatitan

I use my bank account for two online gambling accounts. I do an average of 10 transactions a week (between depositing and withdrawing). My question is, will I suffer in 4 or 5 years when I look for a mortgage?

I am currently 21. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot. What is the best way to gamble online without the potential of the above scenario happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Megatitan wrote: »
    I use my bank account for two online gambling accounts. I do an average of 10 transactions a week (between depositing and withdrawing). My question is, will I suffer in 4 or 5 years when I look for a mortgage?

I am currently 21. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot. What is the best way to gamble online without the potential of the above scenario happening?

i work in a bank and yes people are quite often refused a mortgage or a loan due to gambling transactions
    get yourself into paddy power and open a cash deposit account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

heavyballs wrote: »
    i work in a bank and yes people are quite often refused a mortgage or a loan due to gambling transactions
    get yourself into paddy power and open a cash deposit account

Besides that fact of the beating I'd get off my parents (I'm only 19 :P), having all those inevitable gambling transactions was the reason I didn't use a linked bank account with PP.

Definitely enquire about getting a cash card, takes 2 minutes to top-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Besides that fact of the beating I'd get off my parents (I'm only 19 :P), having all those inevitable gambling transactions was the reason I didn't use a linked bank account with PP.

Definitely enquire about getting a cash card, takes 2 minutes to top-up.

Another great option is opening a moneybookers/skrill account. Have been using it for couple yrs now with no problem and it keeps all transactions discrete as all ya get is a moneybookers/skrill receipt on yer statement:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Same, I use Skrill, but they do charge a commision.

Advertisement