Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Course

Options
  • 14-10-2011 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    I'm looking to study general Business, nothing specific just to educate myself more. Some people recommend a Degree and others a Diploma just encase its of no interest. The location will need to be city centre and Part time.
    I wanted your experience and your recommendations for the best recognised colleges and any courses you think might suit.
    Much Appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

BA Management Practice National College of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

ACCA DipFM at DBS for something more financially oriented. It will give you a bit of an idea about the financial issues of our day too (although it isn't really oriented at banking or financial services). You can do the diploma in a year of wednesdays. It can be a bit intense but it will give you an idea of the mechanics of accounting (though it's not an accounting course).

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭sharp_shooter

Hi,
    I'm looking to study general Business, nothing specific just to educate myself more. Some people recommend a Degree and others a Diploma just encase its of no interest. The location will need to be city centre and Part time.
    I wanted your experience and your recommendations for the best recognised colleges and any courses you think might suit.
    Much Appreciated.

Depends on what it is that you want to get put of it really. My girlfriend did a ba hons deg in portobello and she now works as an accountant. If that's what you're after then it's great but if you want to set up your own business the don't waste a minute in college! It won't help you!! I have worked for myself for 6 years. I own several different businesses and I didn't even do my leaving cert. You can't buy experience and you will Learn more in 6 months of running your own business then you will in 3 years in college. If you want to set up a business but don't know where to start I would suggest a "start your own business" course from your local enterprise board, they are very cheap and only last about 3 weeks and tell you all you need to know.

Hope this is of some help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Depends on what it is that you want to get put of it really. My girlfriend did a ba hons deg in portobello and she now works as an accountant. If that's what you're after then it's great but if you want to set up your own business the don't waste a minute in college! It won't help you!! I have worked for myself for 6 years. I own several different businesses and I didn't even do my leaving cert. You can't buy experience and you will Learn more in 6 months of running your own business then you will in 3 years in college. If you want to set up a business but don't know where to start I would suggest a "start your own business" course from your local enterprise board, they are very cheap and only last about 3 weeks and tell you all you need to know.

Have to disagree there. I have been a Director in a Business for a few years now and it wasnt untill I did a degree that I realised that when you go to college they dont just plant information in there that show you how to run a successful business, rather that they give you ability to critically evaluate and reflect on how the business ais run/managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you are running a business and are able to do all your own accounts as far as P+L and balance sheet, then fair enough, you might not gain anything from training. But if you aren't at that level, you probably would benefit from doing a few courses.

There are people all over Ireland who think they are running businesses, when in fact they are running are lifestyle experiments. They are not making any real profit and not building up any wealth, not even enough wealth to support them in their own later lives. There is a big difference and you need the analytic ability to know the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 CJL

In my younger days I studied Applied Biology in college. My intention was to pursue a career as a laboratory technician. I was merely sixteen years of age when sitting my leaving certificate and therefore very naive in selecting the correct career path. I never became a laboratory technician and slipped comfortably into retail management , which I toiled at for over fifteen years and am still one of the fortunate ones to remain employed in retail. Three years ago I decided to return to part time study. I have just begun my fourth year in my Bachelor of Business Studies (Degree). I can honestly say that the last number of years have been challenging. It has been difficult at times, juggling full time management with part time study, but if you have an interest in the course, then that really is half of the battle. It may sound like a cliche but its true! To be quite honest, my intention was to test my abilities in year one (certificate level) and attempt to pass my exams and take my certificate and move on. I never intended to go any further, but found the idea of a challenge very attractive. It feels good to challenge yourself! My advice to you my friend is very simple...GO FOR IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

The downside to your success story is that he loses his life savings chasing a dream a fellow college graduate would have researched,learned and moved on .. Strongly dissagree buddy..

Advertisement