Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstand - Utter waste of space?

Options
  • 14-10-2011 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭

If you've already been suckered into clicking on one of the "free" magazines only to find its a link to a page selling subscriptions at the same price as the print version, then you've experienced the frustration of iOS 5's new "feature" called "Newstand".

DO i really want to pay five euros(!) for a pdf that I have to read on a 3by 4inch screen? On an ipad it makes much more sense.

The New York Times seems to be the only free site available and maybe more will follow but really whats the point? The NYT already has an iphone app...

Not only that but there's no way of getting rid of "newsstand" or even putting it into the "crap" folder I made that houses the other useless apple apps that cant be hidden.

Whats particularly grating about newstand is that its purely a way of separating you from your money for the least possible effort. I can live with a Compass app that i cant hide because its largely inoffensive but now I have to look at the empty newstand every time i use the phone? I should stock it with the free icons at least...

:mad:

/RANT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

A joke, and asking you to pay 4 euros for a mag is an even bigger joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

bucks73 wrote: »

Nice!! I'd have thanked you twice if i could!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭bop1977

naasrd wrote: »
    A joke, and asking you to pay 4 euros for a mag is an even bigger joke.

or go into a shop and pay over 6 for the print edition, t'is a joke alright.;)

bop1977 wrote: »
    or go into a shop and pay over 6 for the print edition, t'is a joke alright.;)

If its 6 for the full 8x10 size version then it should be at least quarter the price for the 3x4inch version.

They're saving paper and ink and all the costs associated with distribution. And they're most likely charging the same price for advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

InTheTrees wrote: »
    If its 6 for the full 8x10 size version then it should be at least quarter the price for the 3x4inch version.

They're saving paper and ink and all the costs associated with distribution. And they're most likely charging the same price for advertising.

I agree I wouldnt bother with it on the iphone but it comes into its own on the ipad. Most of the magazines are fully interactive with extra ipad only content.

As regards pricing, T3 mag for example is €2.99 an issue but only €26.99 for 12 issues which is a fair bit cheaper than the printed edition pricing. Plus you have access to the international editions of mags if they float your boat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't really understand the hostility toward Newstand. Fair enough, it's not much use on the iPhone. But I've been very impressed with it on the iPad. I can't see myself subscribing to anything, but I might grab the odd issue of Empire or Total Film or something. And at least now I can buy them directly through Apple without having to go pissing around on some outside website.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I wouldn't knock it, nice way to pick up a mag. I subscribe to the economist, hope they add it to newstand, and I read it on the ipad. And the best part is I can have a quick read of an article on my phone when on the way to/from work. I've a stack of economists still in their plastic wrapping at home. I will cancel the print version next time round.

I don't really understand the hostility toward Newstand. Fair enough, it's not much use on the iPhone. But I've been very impressed with it on the iPad.

:confused:

but...we're talking about how useless it is on the iphone...

That it appears designed solely for the ipad is one of the most annoying aspects of it. Why is it even on the iphone at all?

Imagine if you had all the telephone software thats on the iphone on your ipad? And you couldnt hide it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

jester77 wrote: »
    I wouldn't knock it, nice way to pick up a mag. I subscribe to the economist, hope they add it to newstand, and I read it on the ipad. And the best part is I can have a quick read of an article on my phone when on the way to/from work. I've a stack of economists still in their plastic wrapping at home. I will cancel the print version next time round.

Ha yea I'm the same. Since I got the iPad the print editions were being left unopened until they were heading to recycling bin. Great to get them on the Friday too rather than the following week.

Funny thing is though my print subscription ended early September and I can still get the ipad editions. Hopefully they've overlooked me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

What an ungrateful thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

While it's definitely more suited for the iPad, I reckon the iPhone Newstand App is to cater for those who may want to bring their magazines while away from their iPad for some light reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭malcolmplex

I bought a magazine on it(iPhone)and was disappointed that the layout wasn't like Safari reader or a mobile site.Pinch and zoom gets annoying after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I think new stand is great on the iPad. For me it's what the ipad is all about.

Certain magazines are better on the Ipad. I was very impressed with Empire magazine when I first got it.

Advertisement