Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brake pedal goes rock hard when manoeuvring

Options
  • 14-10-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Sometimes I have to stand on my brake pedal when manoeuvring, usually when reversing ,it's a on a ducato only have it a few weeks,the dealer has just checked it out but can't find a problem , has anyone had a similar problem ? Brakes are fine when driving.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

karmaan wrote: »
    Sometimes I have to stand on my brake pedal when manoeuvring, usually when reversing ,it's a on a ducato only have it a few weeks,the dealer has just checked it out but can't find a problem , has anyone had a similar problem ? Brakes are fine when driving.

AFAIK diesels have an engine driven vacuum pump which created the vacuum in the servo, unlike petrol engines where the vacuum in the servo is created from the inlet manifold 'sucking' the air from the servo.

Possibly you problem is the pump is on it last legs and is no longer up to the job unless the engine has plenty of revs on. ??. I'm sure a diesel mechanic will be on here soon with a 'professional' answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

yup , sounds like a brake servo problem , well spotted . Check the pipes leading to it for leaks , and the one way valve on the hose .

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

karmaan wrote: »

Fair play to Donaghys, they sent a driver down to pick up my van , gave me a courtesy van,they replaced the servo and vacuum pump, i drove up to collect it yesterday.
    Hows that for after sales service.

Advertisement