Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards F1 comp scoring??

Options
  • 14-10-2011 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭

Is This Getting updated anymore?
    I dont see any changes since Singapore :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I might work on a way of automating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Is this being updated before the next GP or are yo automating it?
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I'd be happy to keep the scores next season if that's ok with everyone. I know what is involved as I did this a couple of years ago here.

Hopefully those who started this seasons competition will see it through to the end. I understand that people don't always have the time but there are only two races left to go and the Indian GP results to tally up so it's not too much work.

One thing I will say is that I would prefer if someone else set the questions other than myself so I would be performing a purely administrative role and there wouldn't be any conflict of interest so if muckwarrior would continue to do that it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Sounds good to me. The poll only takes about 15 min, the results are the time consuming part. I doubt I'll have time to update them before this weekend, but even if Sparks can't do it I'll make sure it doesn't fall by the wayside.

Now for this weeks poll...

Sorry, havnt had time to get started with the automaton of collecting the data from these polls but I hope to have it ready for the start of the 2012 season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Been up to my neck bet i will update both results tomorrow after the Gp

Sheeps wrote: »
    Sorry, havnt had time to get started with the automaton of collecting the data from these polls but I hope to have it ready for the start of the 2012 season.

Planning some sort of screen scraper?

I don't really see how you can automate this since not everyone always votes using the poll options and instead post their choices in a reply on the thread.

Also, and I don't mean to sound harsh here but you have not been regularly entering the competition this season and have missed quite a few races so I'd be reluctant to have someone in charge of the scoring who has not yet demonstrated their reliability.

Just my 2 cents.

I don't really see how you can automate this since not everyone always votes using the poll options and instead post their choices in a reply on the thread.

Also, and I don't mean to sound harsh here but you have not been regularly entering the competition this season and have missed quite a few races so I'd be reluctant to have someone in charge of the scoring who has not yet demonstrated their reliability.

Just my 2 cents.

99% of votes are cast through the poll. The thread is only for if you make a mistake and need to correct it, so it should be entirely possible to automate it.

If he wants to invest his time in developing a solution then fair play I say. It'd be great if we could read entries and calculate results at the touch of button. Also, it should be possible to develop a system that could give multiple people access ensuring someone is always available to look after it. On the other hand, if you actually enjoy adding up the results manually then fair play :)

Hey, maybe I just want Sheeps to prove me wrong you know ;)

• Advertisement

Hey, maybe I just want Sheeps to prove me wrong you know ;)

All it's going to be is a simple java program for pulling the HTML from the web and outputting a list of names to a text or xls file with the number of points they got from that poll. I'll stick it up for download so who ever wants to can use it as a tool for updating the google docs website because I have literally no interest in doing that myself. I'll get cracking on a beta version tonight after I finish watching the recording of today's gp

Ok, Ive basically got this parsing all of the options of the poll with the people who've voted for each and a very rough and ready command line version of this program could be made available before the next race, but now I'm looking for potential user input in to how this will operate. At the minute the usage is quite tricky. The way it's being built at the minute the user would have to supply as parameters from the command line a valid thread url, the number of predictions, the option number of each valid prediction and the points value for each of those correct predictions, for the command to execute the program to get the results for the last competition might look like the following
    java F1Resultscruncher http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=20560 5 5 2 2 2 2 3 6 9 11 12 60 10 10 10 10

As you can see, its not exactly intuitive this way, so there are either two options. some kind of command line menu system or else a graphical user interface which will take a bit longer.

Looks interesting but I guess it's really up to you how much time you want to spend on it to make it more user friendly.

The only thing is that until I've seen something like that work a few times I wouldn't trust it without double checking the output myself anyway but that's just how I am :)

Ok, Ive basically got this parsing all of the options of the poll with the people who've voted for each and a very rough and ready command line version of this program could be made available before the next race, but now I'm looking for potential user input in to how this will operate. At the minute the usage is quite tricky. The way it's being built at the minute the user would have to supply as parameters from the command line a valid thread url, the number of predictions, the option number of each valid prediction and the points value for each of those correct predictions, for the command to execute the program to get the results for the last competition might look like the following
    java F1Resultscruncher http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=20560 5 5 2 2 2 2 3 6 9 11 12 60 10 10 10 10

As you can see, its not exactly intuitive this way, so there are either two options. some kind of command line menu system or else a graphical user interface which will take a bit longer.
    If you have a working prototype sure send it on and ill test it. I'm a developer too so if you give me the source I could have a go at a GUI, although I haven't touched awt or swing since college!

If you have a working prototype sure send it on and ill test it. I'm a developer too so if you give me the source I could have a go at a GUI, although I haven't touched awt or swing since college!
    Sure, just give me a chance to clean up the code a little bit and add a few comments in and I'll stick it up on the web or something.

We'll try get something useable by next season. I don't have a lot of time to develop this or properly design it because of work and my commitments to other coding projects but I go back to it when ever I get time.

Attached is the eclipse project folder. If you have set up a workspace already, you might need to put this project in a different workspace and change the workspace directory in eclipse in-case it overwrites your eclipse settings which I'm aware is not quite uncommon. Otherwise you can probably just have a look at the package and directory structure and compile from command line if you really want.

I've stuck in a few comments but if you've got any questions just ask because it's a fairly hacked together solution and there's a number of bugs which ill either list on my blog and link you or else ill just list them up here, just so we can have a central bug tracking forum and somewhere to list the goals and direction that should be taken for the implementation for this.

http://idlesoftwaredeveloper.blogspot.com/2011/11/current-problems-with-number-cruncher.html

Cheers. My feckin laptop is banjaxed though so ill be restricted to a few minutes at lunchtime in work, but I should be able to get it running.

Advertisement