Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadburys Roses- Smaller Tin, Same Price

Options
  • 13-10-2011 9:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭

This years offering of Roses is 15% more expensive.

Last years tin weighed in at 1kg, this years 850g. Same price.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Been noted already
    Grocery prices creeping up http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74447032&postcount=28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

If it was the same size, price would ahve increased as sugar has risen hugely on the commodity markets (and recently in shops)

Cocoa also has risen, but not as much.

As sugar is the main ingredient followed by cocoa, cost of manufacture has increased, but to keep retail prices under key prce points, sizes have dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Its really not a rip off. If the price of ingredients go up the price of the product will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

I think you are being foolish by purchasing Cadburrys; they are the most expensive candy. Why not buy Aldi sweets (which offer you more value)? Even switching to non-big brand names might be a better idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Its really not a rip off. If the price of ingredients go up the price of the product will.

I haven't analyzed the price of the ingredients.
    The tins as far as i recall were always 1kg i think its deceptive to shrink it by 15% to meet a price point.

I think it smacks of opportunism and sharp practice.

If you follow that train of thought you r suggesting that if the litre of milk quietly shrink s to 850ml you would be happy with that too as long as its retail price wont raise any eyebrows.

• Advertisement

Skopzz wrote: »
    I think you are being foolish by purchasing Cadburrys; they are the most expensive candy. Why not buy Aldi sweets (which offer you more value)? Even switching to non-big brand names might be a better idea.
    I am fond of my aldi and lidl chocs.
    Any particular sort Aldi to look out for, in a large tin though
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Funny I should find this thread when last night I was having a bar of fruit & nut and felt that the bar was definitely smaller than previous bars I've had. Definitely "thinner" chunks of chocolate in the bars these days....................of course I wouldn't have a wrapper of an older bar but if I were a betting person I would lay any money on the standard bars being smaller now..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

If you follow that train of thought you r suggesting that if the litre of milk quietly shrink s to 850ml you would be happy with that too as long as its retail price wont raise any eyebrows.

Not really sure what your trying to say here but I presume you're trying to say that I would be happy if the litre of milk became 850ml. Which to me is a different situation but yes if the price of milk went up then I would be happy for the size to go down but in reality they would just increase the price of the litre. Cadburys are as stated before just meeting certain price points. They are not a charity. If their costs go up they will increase unit price.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

Last years tin was 975g....Basically this year you get 11 less sweets...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that the Kraft installed management would have shoved the prices up whether commodity prices had gone up or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I had the same shrinking feeling with a bag of Cadbury's chocolate eclairs. They went from 200g to 180g, same price. I guess it's just a tactic to raise the price without making it too obvious. Can't blame the company, though, the ingredients prices are soaring, and increasing the prices would damage their marketing strategies.
    Anyway, smaller size is actually better for us, the bars had gone far too big

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

tins were actually 1.2kg a few years ago....most of the stores use them as below cost sellers anyway at 6 to 7 euro a tin most weeks.

Found a couple in the garage with BB dates of 2004 and 2006- both
    1.5KG tins!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Found a couple in the garage with BB dates of 2004 and 2006- both
    1.5KG tins!
    They used to have several sizes a few years back, and then several sizes of boxes too. Often the 1.5kg tins were more expensive per kilo than the lighter ones, just like most "family size" tins of beans/peas are more expensive per kilo.

They are still FAR cheaper than what they were in the 80's or 90's. There are constantly offers on bars, I got 5 twix's for 1.29 or 1.25 in tesco today, in the 80's the cheapest I remember them in 5 packs was about 23p each which is 29cent or €1.45 for a 5 pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭popsmar

2014 Now their 753g and for 6euro on offer in tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

popsmar wrote: »
    2014 Now their 753kg and for 6euro on offer in tesco

Damn .. this is a problem my car can only carry 350kg, I'll have to make two trips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

The way it works is Tesco etc tell Cadbury what price they want to sell the tins / buckets for and what they will buy them for as they are used in annual price wars.

Cadbury say to get to that price we can make a tin that is 753g.

€6 is not an "offer" price - tayht's the price. Tesco etc will make you think its an offer.

It used to be cadbury saying this is the tin we have - here's the price. But now as its a promotional item, the size will change to reflect the price.

Think of cost per 100G - in this case 80c.

So would you prefer a 1kg tin for €11.99 (that what they used to be) or a 753g tin for €6?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭BobMc

Neither found the quality has slipped the last number of years, I think I ate 3/4 from last years, I prefer one decent box at xmas ala Lir / butlers, but I'm not a savage for the choccie only like one/two nice ones with my coffee after a meal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Seen them the other day when I was leaving the store - I couldn't get over how small the plastic tub looked. I'd say if you opened it up it wouldn't be filled to near the top either.

Reminds me a bought a box of sweets in Aldi a few years ago (you know the smallish boxes you would give someone as a present), the sweets were in a sealed plastic bag inside the cardboard box, I emptied them into the box and it barely half filled it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nompere

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Seen them the other day when I was leaving the store - I couldn't get over how small the plastic tub looked. I'd say if you opened it up it wouldn't be filled to near the top either.

Reminds me a bought a box of sweets in Aldi a few years ago (you know the smallish boxes you would give someone as a present), the sweets were in a sealed plastic bag inside the cardboard box, I emptied them into the box and it barely half filled it!

But you're buying by weight, not volume, so that makes no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

The Minister Of Health will be delighted :rolleyes:

BobMc wrote: »
    Neither found the quality has slipped the last number of years, I think I ate 3/4 from last years, I prefer one decent box at xmas ala Lir / butlers, but I'm not a savage for the choccie only like one/two nice ones with my coffee after a meal

Over the years, cheap chocolate and sweets have changed. Less cocoa and things like inverted sugar / glucose syrup etc etc have found their way into the ingredients.

For amazing chocolates, try Skelligs Chocolates (made in Kerry) - I saw them in Tesco & Dunnes recently. Not cheap, but well worth it as a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

BobMc wrote: »
    delahuntv wrote: »
    Over the years, cheap chocolate and sweets have changed. Less cocoa and things like inverted sugar / glucose syrup etc etc have found their way into the ingredients.

For amazing chocolates, try Skelligs Chocolates (made in Kerry) - I saw them in Tesco & Dunnes recently. Not cheap, but well worth it as a treat.

Have definitely noticed this too. Roses in recent years haven't been as nice at all. The chocolate tastes different and is sweeter. They have become kind of horrible to me. I won't be buying them this year. Aldi and Lidl all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

delahuntv wrote: »
    The way it works is Tesco etc tell Cadbury what price they want to sell the tins / buckets for and what they will buy them for as they are used in annual price wars.

Cadbury say to get to that price we can make a tin that is 753g.

€6 is not an "offer" price - tayht's the price. Tesco etc will make you think its an offer.

It used to be cadbury saying this is the tin we have - here's the price. But now as its a promotional item, the size will change to reflect the price

The tub size is determined by manufacturer in the hope of achieving certain price points. However these are all done in the uk to determine sterling price point (£5).
    Both manufacturer and retailer make very little margin on these products, they help drive footfall and market share.

cart man wrote: »
    The tub size is determined by manufacturer in the hope of achieving certain price points. However these are all done in the uk to determine sterling price point (£5).
    Both manufacturer and retailer make very little margin on these products, they help drive footfall and market share.

It used to be - these days it the big retailers who decide the pricepoint and the manufacturers make it to that price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

You'd nearly be embarrassed to give these as a gift now . In the space of 10 years we have gone from 1.2 kg to 753g . I've heard of inflation but that's mad

castle2012 wrote: »
    You'd nearly be embarrassed to give these as a gift now . In the space of 10 years we have gone from 1.2 kg to 753g . I've heard of inflation but that's mad

and they've gone from €11.99 to €6 too - per 100g they've reduced by 25% in price.

I also saw in Musgrave brochure a 600g large Quality Street jar (plastic but in the shape of traditional glass jar) with a rrp of €5 - proves that the supermarket "special offers" are not special offers and the local store will have similar price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Tesco arklow had a 1.2kg proper tin of quality street other day for €12.99

Advertisement