Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Technical Support Scam

Options
  • 13-10-2011 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey guys I created this thread regarding a serious enough issue. Recently the amount of scam phone calls which I have been receiving has gone through the roof. Im only assuming its the same in the rest of the country. Basically you receive a call regarding your PC running slowly. They get you to open the event viewer a built in Windows program for displaying common windows errors. They get you to open the application tab and count the red (harmless) errors which are displayed on the screen. Usually there can be a good number of them, even on relatively new PC's. When you tell them how many errors you see they will usually respond with 'Oh my god' or something similar to increase the scare factor. After this they get you to navigate to a website which offers remote technical assistance, usually these are legitimate sites. From here they establish a remote connection to your PC and install a rogue scanner on your system. This will run a bogus scan and finish with a false list of non existent viruses. They then explain that in order to clean the viruses you will need to upgrade the bogus antivirus. Entering in your credit card details into the program will patch them straight through to these scammers. In other cases I have heard they legitimately take the payment through paypal as a once off payment, however this is usually high.

At the end of the day these people are not here to help you, they are criminals and nothing less. Never trust someone who claims to be calling regarding the health of your computer system. These calls are generally bogus and made with the intention of taking your money for something that is not needed. Report any calls you receive to the gardaí even if you don't have a number because these scammers use voip to call.

On a lighter note I was on the ball there the last day and recorded a call from one of the scams being run. I decided to play the stupid card as I had already used "Cé hé seo, Máirtín ab ea, conas a tá tú a mhac?" Im disappointed I didn't record that call cause they don't respond well to Gaeilge Im afraid :D . Anyways the video below is of me messing around with this guy and playing along to show you what exactly they do. I frustrated them so much that they actually hung up on me and didn't get the last word in for once. Really its a comedy piece so listen to it all and you won't be disappointed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭obviousTroll

A quick search of this forum would have yielded this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056231349

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭obviousTroll

But in fairness to you.... good trolling....

Cyber police..... backtracing.....

He dun goofed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 YaShnake

The post was more so regarding the video than the scam. If you check again you'll also find that the thread you linked is much less informative than mine and doesn't explain in detail what these scammers are trying to do. The more of these threads there are the better as the scams are coming quick and fast using a whole host of different methods to take your money. Obvioustroll is obvious troll :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

YaShnake wrote: »
    Hey guys I created this thread regarding a serious enough issue. Recently the amount of scam phone calls which I have been receiving has gone through the roof. Im only assuming its the same in the rest of the country. Basically you receive a call regarding your PC running slowly. They get you to open the event viewer a built in Windows program for displaying common windows errors. They get you to open the application tab and count the red (harmless) errors which are displayed on the screen. Usually there can be a good number of them, even on relatively new PC's. When you tell them how many errors you see they will usually respond with 'Oh my god' or something similar to increase the scare factor. After this they get you to navigate to a website which offers remote technical assistance, usually these are legitimate sites. From here they establish a remote connection to your PC and install a rogue scanner on your system. This will run a bogus scan and finish with a false list of non existent viruses. They then explain that in order to clean the viruses you will need to upgrade the bogus antivirus. Entering in your credit card details into the program will patch them straight through to these scammers. In other cases I have heard they legitimately take the payment through paypal as a once off payment, however this is usually high.

At the end of the day these people are not here to help you, they are criminals and nothing less. Never trust someone who claims to be calling regarding the health of your computer system. These calls are generally bogus and made with the intention of taking your money for something that is not needed. Report any calls you receive to the gardaí even if you don't have a number because these scammers use voip to call.

On a lighter note I was on the ball there the last day and recorded a call from one of the scams being run. I decided to play the stupid card as I had already used "Cé hé seo, Máirtín ab ea, conas a tá tú a mhac?" Im disappointed I didn't record that call cause they don't respond well to Gaeilge Im afraid :D . Anyways the video below is of me messing around with this guy and playing along to show you what exactly they do. I frustrated them so much that they actually hung up on me and didn't get the last word in for once. Really its a comedy piece so listen to it all and you won't be disappointed.

I had a call from these guys today. At first I thought it was one of those robo calls saying I won a prize. As soon as he said was from W
    indows and they had found a problem on my PC, I hung up. I need to warn my parents about this scam. Feckin bastards.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres

Advertisement