Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreturned Deposit - Advice

Options
  • 13-10-2011 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I would like to get your advice before deciding how to proceed regarding the matter of an as yet unreturned deposit.

My friend and I moved out of our previous rented accommodation on the 28th June, which was the day of lease expiry, but three & a half months later we have yet to receive the deposit from either the agency who we dealt with or the landlord directly. The agency today informed us that this was because we had not given one months notice prior to departure, however, I believe that seeing as the lease came to a natural expiration after one years tenancy (without a single problem from either side) that this cannot be right.

I am worried that the agent is at fault for not being on top of the property's letting on behalf of her client & is now exacting punishment upon us. The agent today said "Mr. X said that you didn't give a months notice...", but it is only her that could have told him this, seemingly covering up the fact that the lease expired and she was not on top of it. I called with two weeks remaining to enquire about arranging the inspection much to the surprise of the agent, she then insisted on a months notice but then accepted that the lease was up & that she should have called us before.

Is it correct to say that she should have contacted us in time to see if we wanted to extend it or not? Surely no notice has to be given past the end-date of an expiring lease?

Any advice you can offer here one way or the other will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Mark

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

Contact the PRTB asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bgo1

Typically i have found that a lease goes onto a rolling 1 month contract after the term ends if you dont sign a new lease so you would still give a months notice to leave after the initaial 1year, however the estate agent seems to have admitted she was wrong, have you her saying that in writing should be a quick conclusion if so..

Advertisement