Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OfCom to Ban PressTV

Options
  • 13-10-2011 7:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/204207.html

Well it looks like OfCom want to remove PressTV rom the Sky packages due to them broadcasting things that someone objected to, specifically them Broadcasting an extract from an interview with Mazahar Bahari where he condemmned Western media

Smacks of censorship to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 yobgod

ofcom dose whats its told
    they only want u to hear news ect .. sky ..bbc.. they can control
    use the net for news
    http://www.zeitnews.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

The UK Office of Communications (Ofcom) has succumbed to the British royal family's demands to ban Press TV activities despite the Iranian news network's compliance with the law.

Who'd of thought that the Royal Family had the Sky package in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/204207.html

Well it looks like OfCom want to remove PressTV rom the Sky packages due to them broadcasting things that someone objected to, specifically them Broadcasting an extract from an interview with Mazahar Bahari where he condemmned Western media

Smacks of censorship to me.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/may/23/iran-press-tv-maziar-bahari
    Ofcom has ruled that Iran's state-run Press TV is responsible for a serious breach of UK broadcasting rules and could face a fine for airing an interview with Maziar Bahari, the Newsweek journalist arrested covering the Iranian presidential election in 2009, that was obtained by force while he was held in a Tehran jail.

In July 2009 Press TV, which has a bureau in west London, aired what it said was an interview with Bahari following his arrest in the previous month, days after he had filed a report to Channel 4 News and Newsweek about an attack in Tehran during a post-election demonstration.

The UK media regulator has been investigating the complaint by Bahari, who spent 118 days in jail, since last summer.

In its ruling on the complaint published on Monday, Ofcom said it regards the breaches to be of a "serious nature" and is now considering if the case "warrants the imposition of a sanction''.

Bahari lodged a complaint with Ofcom in December 2009 which said the "interview" had been made "under duress", after he was told by an interrogator that he was suspected of espionage and could face the death penalty unless he made a "televised statement about the role of the western media in the post-presidential election demonstrations".

I notice Press TV are accusing Bahari of taking direction from the Protocols of the Elders of Zion ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I'd object to muzzling any independent media, but Press TV is just a tool of disinformation and propaganda. They make Faux News look good.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Yeah, but the same can be said of most 'News' sources, they present the news with a distinct bias of whichever regime finances them, PressTV are currently rather notable for their lack of coverage on the Syria situation, however I feel that the only way to have any form of a balanced view you need to see all ends of the spectrum.

if they remove PressTV then they have effectivley censored one POV, thats not in the best interest of a Free press.

Yeah, but the same can be said of most 'News' sources, they present the news with a distinct bias of whichever regime finances them, PressTV are currently rather notable for their lack of coverage on the Syria situation, however I feel that the only way to have any form of a balanced view you need to see all ends of the spectrum.

if they remove PressTV then they have effectivley censored one POV, thats not in the best interest of a Free press.

Are you saying its okay to arrest a journalist, force them to make a statement against their will and then release it on a public news channel as a normal free-willed interview?

What is free about that?

Lies and misrepresentation are par for the course in a lot of the Media, did PressTV Arrest the guy???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Lies and misrepresentation are par for the course in a lot of the Media, did PressTV Arrest the guy???

Not in the Western media. It just isn't like that - I know a lot of people working in the media in Ireland, and for all the many flaws they have, deliberate misrepresentation is rarely one of them (I exclude agenda-driven newspapers like the Sunday Independent from this, however).

What the heck? weren't you just preaching about "free press" a moment ago, now you are defending state media and forced statements?

Which is it?

• Advertisement

Me wrote:
    I feel that the only way to have any form of a balanced view you need to see all ends of the spectrum.

Tbats what I said.
    I beleive tat if we're gonna be subjected to Propaganda from State media, then in the interest of balance we should be able to see more than one take on it by different states.

a

AhYeah Monty, the Press is unbiased a long as you ignore the Biased examples.:rolleyes: on the subject of Misrepresentation, how about Ahmidinjads statements on Israel and teh holocaust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 archstanton.

The reason they want to remove Press TV is that they dont like the way it portrays Israel and their heinous crimes in Palestine and has nothing to do with the journalist,its the same way as they got a Lebanese channel removed as they also portrayed Israel in a bad light

The reason they want to remove Press TV is that they dont like the way it portrays Israel and their heinous crimes in Palestine and has nothing to do with the journalist,its the same way as they got a Lebanese channel removed as they also portrayed Israel in a bad light

Which Lebanese channel and under which circumstances?

Jonny7 wrote: »
    Which Lebanese channel and under which circumstances?

Al-Manar perhaps? :D

Advertisement