Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car damaged...do I get the cheque or is it the mechanic?

Options
  • 13-10-2011 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

As the title suggests......I reckon I can fix my car myself after a van with trailer reversed out onto the main road where i was driving.

What should i do

a) be honest the insuraqnce company and tell them i'll fix it myself? (should get a cheque but then probably won't get as much)

b) Get a quote from a crash repair (but risk having the cheque going to them)

On a related note...if they offer scrappage (BER) and if they allow me to keep the car minus scrappage fee, will the cheque go to me or will they insist upon it being fixed- and hence the possibility of the cheque going to the crash repair shop?

TIA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

The cheque will always be made payable to you unless you use one of the insurers approved repairers then they may just pay them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭sonyvision

can fix it yourself dont tell the insurance as they will want loads of details and bye bye no claims bonus :rolleyes: take it to a small garage price it yourself and if its not serious work idea just a dent or 2 leave it. If something more serious is broke have that fixed

but highly doubt the insurance company would just give you a check as they will feel your just robbing them

Advertisement