Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casta Blanca, Spain.

Options
  • 13-10-2011 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

Well I've decided to write up a review of the area, most people I know love the area but seldom do they get out and about the region and explore it fully. I would like to say I know the area fairly well at this stage been out there 3 times so far and am planning on going twice next year too. Anyways here is my review, went for 11 days from 5th of Sept :)

We Booked with Jet2 Belfast - Murcia. Have flown easyjet and ryanair before and Jet2 are by far and away the best service. Upon arriving at the queue for check in there was a member of Jet2 staff going down the queue making sure you were in the right place and making sure you had all documents ready. The flight out was a bit on the bumpy side, but cabin crew made sure everyone was comfortable and well tended too. Flight back was delayed due to 2 couples arguing over who got to use the overhead storage which made us miss our slot, captain kept us informed of any updates and we eventually left 45 minutes late, not Jet2 fault though. I will definintly use jet2 in future where I can.

Our base is Villamartin in the Murcia region (about 15 minutes from san Javier / Murcia airport) which had a plaza stuffed full of bars and restaurants which is very handy but a bit more expensive than some other places. 1 restaurant that is a must do is Che Argentine steak house in the plaza it’s a bit pricy but by far and away the best meal I have had out there. Also 1 place avoid are the fox on the fairway, overpriced and bland, although they do have pool tables ect out back for the kids!

There are lots and lots of places to visit but a car hire is a must IMO. San Miguel De Salinas is only 5 KM from Villamartin and is crammed full of Spanish culture, it’s what I would call a typical Spanish town with little narrow streets, it was a weekly market some nice places to eat. Has a fantastic festival in September which is stunning, all night street parties and parades, but mixed with holy statue parades ect. San Miguel has a caves area, where the houses were actually cut out of the rocks on the side of the hill, it’s well worth a visit (see photo below).

You have Torrevieja which is an OK city, a bit run down but still pleasant enough. It has a large marina and waterfront promenade (see photo) which is a nice evening walk, but the illegal street vendors (wallets / glasses / handbags ect) are a pain but usually a stern No and they go away.

We went down south (about 45mins drive) to a city called Cartagena, it honestly blew me away. It has lots and lots of historical things to do, museums galore! But what I Found is it has a real feel of modern buildings near the harbour and old buildings. The old City is surrounded by a huge wall the old city was built by the Romans and has an amphitheatre which is stunning alongside the castle you can buy a ticket to view both of them (€7 I think) it’s very very much worth it!

There are Numerous beaches, although I found calblanque beach the best, it was a bit away, 40 min drive, from where we were staying but the beach was unspoilt with perfect sand and calm waters sent 2 days down there the drive is very much worth it. The other beaches tend to be very stony and sore on the feet the only other decent beach is a 10 min walk from where we were staying but it was relatively busy called La Zenia. Some of the beaches are stunning if you’re willing to drive to them, one of them combre del sol (well over an hour north) has a seriously steep hill into and out of where they Guardia Civil put large rocks behind your back wheels when you stop just to be sure (which I thought was bizarre).

There are lots of other attractions, Benidorm if you’re into the nightlife. It has a decent theme park there too terra metica. There are lots of little towns and stunning drives (not for the nervous) like the town / drive to Calp and Javea (see panoramic photo below). The Guadalest Valley is a stunning area and worth a day trip (you can also get bus trips to there from where we stayed for €10) and the Man Menor where the Spanish come for holidays. Alicante city is pretty too, with a stunning castle.

I could be here all day typing this out but I won't :P I had done up a map on Google maps though anyone can view it; it lists everywhere I have gone in the region that I found was worth visiting (click here).

If anyone has any comments questions feel free to fire away, I'll do my best to answer them...

Some photos now, you can view the best of them by clicking here on my flickr page...

1. Las Cuevas, San Miguel De Salinas
    6154990669_b4f583b236_z.jpg

2. Torreveija Promenade...
    6155436592_5f53887230_z.jpg

3. Combre Del Sol...
    6155527786_be83c3ce68_z.jpg

4. Last but not least Calp Panoramic (24 photos stitched)...
    6155414644_2c258cb45b_b.jpg

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Great report and fabulous photos. I too have visited the Costa Blanca area many times. The next time that you go there, you should visit Elche, a very interesting city near Alicante. Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 annet

Wow looks beautiful! Great photos, thanks for sharing, the shot of Combre Del Sol is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

OP - Did you spend much time in Torrevieja? Just wondering because my aunt has a villa there and said I can have it for a week so was thinking of going with my 9 year old daughter in June or July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

egan2020 wrote: »
    OP - Did you spend much time in Torrevieja? Just wondering because my aunt has a villa there and said I can have it for a week so was thinking of going with my 9 year old daughter in June or July.

Bite her hand off :D

Is the Villa in the city itself? Lots of the smaller towns in and around the area have there address as Torrevieja, the likes of Guardamar, Rojales ect have Torre in their address but they are a good bit outside of the city itself.

The City I wouldn't be personally so keen on, but its more an individual thing, I'd rather be on the outskirts of a town / city with no noise. Torrevieja is relatively busy, pretty much all the time. It is plagued with Illegal street vendors trying to sell sunglasses / wallets / handbags ect all the way along the promenade, and they do get on your nerves after a bit, but a firm no will usually get rid of them.

There is a big dispute on at the minute too regards one of the main attractions. They are trying to move the big amusements (which were great for kids) from near the marina to the outskirts of the city.

There is loads to do with 2 main beaches within 15 / 20 minute walk from the city centre, loads of shops, a big shopping centre, water park's and town parks. There are some areas to avoid though much like any city, there is the "russian" areas of the old town that should be avoided.

I would still recommend hiring a car TBH, about €100 for the week, I find driving out there a doddle and much more relaxed affair than driving here, once you get the hang of driving from the other side, which takes about 5 mins. Opens up a whole load of different things then, with a zoo / safari thing 30 minutes away, theme park just over an hour away ect.

If you want any specific info just ask ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Thanks for that.

She said it's situated between Torrevieja (5 minute drive) and La Mata (3 minute drive).

I'm a little bit reluctant to hire a car at the airport as we won't arrive until night time and I'd rather have my first foreign driving experience in daylight! Am I better off arranging car hire from Torrevieja before I go or waiting until I get there.

• Advertisement

egan2020 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

She said it's situated between Torrevieja (5 minute drive) and La Mata (3 minute drive).

I'm a little bit reluctant to hire a car at the airport as we won't arrive until night time and I'd rather have my first foreign driving experience in daylight! Am I better off arranging car hire from Torrevieja before I go or waiting until I get there.

I'd do it before arriving just in case you might not be able to sort it when you land. I would still recommend getting the car at the airport because if your late at arriving the bus service won't be on and its about €50 for a taxi to Torre from either airport (Murcia airport or Alicante airport) I've used Coy's a few times now and find them top notch. The price they quote is the price you pay too, most other companies will give you a cheap quote then make you pay all sorts of hidden charges when you go to pay for the hire.

I think with coy's you can arrange for them to drop the car off at the villa for you . Drop them an e-mail sure see what they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Nice write up. We, two families, are looking to go that direction and rent a villa for a week!! Great pictures you put up there, looks like a fine spot. Would you mind telling us where you stayed?

Any contacts reference accommodation in the area is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tango alpha

excellent review! was looking for somewhere else in spain to go.. gonna go look this place up it looks brilliant nice and relaxing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭zookey

hi does anyone have any advice on buying a property in villamartin? been out there recently looking at some properties, some great bargains, we done a bit of research to the area and surrounding villages/towns, seems very popular and is very beautiful.. would appreciate any advice or information, thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

zookey wrote: »
    hi does anyone have any advice on buying a property in villamartin? been out there recently looking at some properties, some great bargains, we done a bit of research to the area and surrounding villages/towns, seems very popular and is very beautiful.. would appreciate any advice or information, thanks..
    You'd be better off asking that in the Living Abroad forum. This forum is for travel reviews (and a little advice!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Smurf1971

We're going to La Mata at the end of July, my uncle has a place out there and its been a few years since I was last in it.

Looking forward to it! This is a great thread as I'm thinking of doing a bit more exploring this time round.

Smurf1971 wrote: »
    We're going to La Mata at the end of July, my uncle has a place out there and its been a few years since I was last in it.

Looking forward to it! This is a great thread as I'm thinking of doing a bit more exploring this time round.

Happy to have helped :) If you have any questions fire me a PM sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Smurf1971

Happy to have helped :) If you have any questions fire me a PM sure.

Wildo..Cheers!!

Advertisement