Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JobBridge - a joke taken too far.

Options
  • 13-10-2011 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I found out that although I’m only signing for credits now, I am still eligible to apply for JobBridge internships. At first I was delighted; however, all I would get is €50.00 a week. Considering that I would have to pay €25 approx in bus fares a week, would anyone else in the same position jump at this great opportunity? I just wish someone would have thought of this scheme while I was able to claim JB. This has, in effect, thrown me on the scrapheap as in my eyes I am still unemployed, still sending in CV’s and watching my friends whose RSI contributions still haven’t run out yet go for those positions. They have finally broken my spirit.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

No JSA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

I'm guessing that since you didn't qualify for JSA people are going to say 'tough', but this is another type of edge case that i hadn't considered where the stupid internship scheme is manufacturing even more problems.

What area are you looking at?

Btw the work placement programme, effectively the same scheme, has been out for years, you wouldn't have gotten 50e extra but you could've done that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Jellybaby1, it's like this. Many recruiters do not want to touch someone who is unemployed - there's a stigma.

If you're in a jobsbridge scheme it gives you a much chance of getting into fully paid employment.

It's an investment. It may be tough, but it could be what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Not eligible for JSA. Yes, I did expect people to say 'tough'. Just want an admin job. Did full time BTE for a year, then I got a temp job for three months then went back to SW to reapply for JB but couldn't get it, then applied for JSA, but not eligible, was accepted to sign for credits only. Never stopped sending CV's since redundancy. Now doing adult education course at night. I am trained up to the hilt at this stage. Considered going into caring roles, but courses are expensive. I can see some are suggesting I go for this JobBridge, but my question was, would you? Thanks for replies anyway, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Obviously if you can afford it, and think it's necessary, and there's no other option, then do it.

How long has it been since the temp job, might a temp job disqualify a person from jobbridge for whatever it is, 3 months?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Temp job finished in May. Not a question of me affording anything as I have no income now, more a case of can my husband keep paying the bills alone for a family of adults when he's the only one with a job, two unemployed and one on short hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Jellybaby, I'm in a similar situation to you. I've been signing for credits for the past two years but, as my OH is claiming JSA after being made redundant, he can claim for me so we do get a bit extra.

However, being more mature than your average jobseeker, I'm finding it really hard to get employers to take me seriously. It's especially difficult when the people doing the interviewing are 20+ years younger than you! (This happened at an interview last year and I felt totally demoralised :( ) Jellybaby, I know what you mean when you say that they have finally broken your spirit. I feel like I'm on the scrapheap too.

As a last resort I've been looking at JobBridge for anything totally related to my background - retail/admin/secretarial - and I've been invited for an interview. I should be delighted, but deep down, I know it's like slave labour and the thought of working 40 hours for a measly €50 a week, well, I could cry.

I realise that there will be a lot of Boardsies who will think that I should be grateful for the opportunity but, at my age, what is the point? I would be interested to know if there's anyone out there - young, old, whatever - who's doing an internship and feel that they are making a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Jobbridge is really designed for people who have qualifications but no work experience in my opinion and in that case it is invaluable for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Fiona_242

I am starting an internship in Jan myself on credits for 5 years and I have not accepted it yet but I am cringing at the €50.00 a week but its just a 6 hour day in a school so its not so bad. Anything I need to know? or did you ever start an internship yourself? I am anxious about the whole thing! It will be Mon-Fri 9-3pm. I am doing to get out of the house while my husband works!

Advertisement