Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First car insurance

Options
  • 12-10-2011 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

If i go a named driver on a 1.2 liter it will cost me 2700 but if i got with my dad its 1200 . Could someone explain this to me please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭illegalmidget

If i go a named driver on a 1.2 liter it will cost me 2700 but if i got with my dad its 1200 . Could someone explain this to me please.

this doesnt really make sense?
    do you mean if you go MAIN driver as in the policyholder it would be 2700?
    and if you dad goes as the policy holder and you go named on his policy it would be 1200?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I presume you are putting in the policy in his name and entering in that he has a full no claims bonus?

If this is the case its unlikely that it is correct as most insurers wont allow the bonus to be used on two cars,especially when there is a young driver on the policy.

Also,if you get a policy that has you as a named driver only but you are the main driver then any potential claim may be negated because you have given false information in order to get insured cheaper.For all intents and purposes that is insurance fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭seantobin43

I heard people saying it before that they are a driver under one of there parents if that makes any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

No it doesn't. Either they are a named driver on their parents main car policy which has a full no-claims bonus. Or they are incorrectly noting their parents as the main driver on a vehicle which they are the main driver for.

If you own the car it must be insured in your name. If your dad gets a second car and chooses to insure it in his name with you as an additional driver, he will not have the benefit of using his no-claims bonus so the 1200 quid will not stand.

If you need more of an explanation you will need to tell us how you came to both figures.

how do i get cheap insurance on my car

• Advertisement

you can't. Its a rite of passage. if you are 18 and on a provisional licence. Get used to the fact that its going to cost you at least 2500 if you want to drive your own car. Its what everyone has to do when they start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oliviaskye

yes, if you are 18 and you have provisional license then it would be possible. it's better for you that you take the policy with your dad's name.

oliviaskye wrote: »
    yes, if you are 18 and you have provisional license then it would be possible. it's better for you that you take the policy with your dad's name.

what do i tell the insurance company if im going under my dad

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

tell them that you are doing something that it probably illegal and will ensure that if you do have an accident, any payment they make can be recouped from you over the course of your lifetime.

ravima wrote: »
    tell them that you are doing something that it probably illegal and will ensure that if you do have an accident, any payment they make can be recouped from you over the course of your lifetime.

everyone does it im not going to be the first

• Advertisement

You can't tell them anything because aren't going to be the policy holder. Thats up to your dad to mislead on your behalf.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well done for taking the thread into charter breach territory.

"everyone does it" is not an excuse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement