Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone mail - wifi vs 3G

Options
  • 12-10-2011 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi,

I had a quick search and couldn't find this on here already. Appologies if it is.

My wife has an iPhone 3GS with iOS 4.3.5. with Vodafone.

We recently switched our broadband provider from Vodafone to UPC and she is experiencing a strange problem with her mail on the iPhone.

She uses vodafone mail (xxxx@voafone.ie) and the standar iPhone mail app.

Since switching to UPC she can no longer send mail through wifi.
    She can connect to wifi and surf the web, etc. so no problem with the wifi itself. Mail will send without any problem through 3G.

She has her outgoing mail server (SMTP) set to: mail.vodafone.ie.

The strange thing is if she changes this to smtp.upcmail.ie she can send mail through wifi without any problem, but then can not send mail through 3G!

She has also tried adding smtp.upcmail.ie as a second SMTP server, but it makes no difference.

Any help on how to be able to send mail with both wifi and 3G would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Brendan.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

jtf_ie wrote: »
    Hi,

I had a quick search and couldn't find this on here already. Appologies if it is.

My wife has an iPhone 3GS with iOS 4.3.5. with Vodafone.

We recently switched our broadband provider from Vodafone to UPC and she is experiencing a strange problem with her mail on the iPhone.

She uses vodafone mail (xxxx@voafone.ie) and the standar iPhone mail app.

Since switching to UPC she can no longer send mail through wifi.
    She can connect to wifi and surf the web, etc. so no problem with the wifi itself. Mail will send without any problem through 3G.

She has her outgoing mail server (SMTP) set to: mail.vodafone.ie.

The strange thing is if she changes this to smtp.upcmail.ie she can send mail through wifi without any problem, but then can not send mail through 3G!

She has also tried adding smtp.upcmail.ie as a second SMTP server, but it makes no difference.

Any help on how to be able to send mail with both wifi and 3G would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Brendan.

Put both smtp servers in. VF can't send on a UPC connection, and UPC can't send on a VF 3G. You need to put in both, then let the mail app find which one it needs to use. Make sure both smtp settings are switched on in settings>mai>"account name">account>smtp>

• Registered Users Posts: 29 jtf_ie

Thanks Whiterebel,

Thats what I meant when I said:
    "She has also tried adding smtp.upcmail.ie as a second SMTP server, but it makes no difference."

She has mail.vodafone.ie as her primary server and smtp.upcmail.ie as an additional server and both are set to on, but the mail app seems to only pick up the primary server and ignores the secondary server.
    She has also tried them the other way round, UPC and primary and VF as additional.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Brendan.

Advertisement