Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moet going out of date??

Options
  • 12-10-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i got a bottle of moet 7 years ago which i put away safely for a special occasion....just found it there.
    There is no best before date on it like you would find on beer bottles etc.
    Just wondering is it ok to drink or would i die???:p
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

if stored correctly it shoud be fine.

storing ok means in a cool dark place (never freezing or very hot) with thebottle on its side to stop the cork drying out. proper storage of fine wines involves rotating bottles on there side but there is some dispute over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I'm no wine expert, but I'm not sure how much a champagne improves with age.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

it does to a point. according to the guide i have here infornt of me and again assuming correct storage the best vintage for m and c are

2000, 1999 98 96 95 90 88 86 85 82

and in a much broader champagne vinage chart the vintages to drink now are 2004,03,02,01,00 older 97,95,90,89,88,85,82 with other newer vintages needing more time and older starting to fade

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

storing ok means in a cool dark place (never freezing or very hot) with thebottle on its side to stop the cork drying out. proper storage of fine wines involves rotating bottles on there side but there is some dispute over this.

thanks for that! Reckon i will chance it so!!

thanks for that! Reckon i will chance it so!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭shy-tall-knight

Hmmmmmm the OP never said it was a vintage champagne though. If it was just your entry level Moet which is non-vintage then 7 years really would be rimming it, actually I'd be pretty sure it's well past its best.
    However it was a vintage champagne then there are enough vintage charts online to be able to gauge the quality of a particular vintage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Hardi1

If its non-vintage it should really be dwunk within 2- 4 years. I opened a btl of Moet NV last week, a gift from 4 and a half years ago, just about got it in time! Had started to darken in colour, not as fabulous as it should have been. So I would open yours immediately but I wouldnt get too excited in advance..!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

My parents bought a bottle of champagne on their Honeymoon in Rome about 35 years ago and never opened it. It's still out in the garage and there is actually what appears to be some sort of mushroom colony growing inside it! haha

Well thanks for all the advice! It is not a vintage bottle so i think it probably is well past its best!
    Might just open it to have a look at what is inside!
    Must celebrate more often so i dont have this problem again....
    Cue 'no recession in your house' posts...
    Thanks again boardsies : )

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Hardi1

Let us know what the wine actually tastes like and if there any veggies growing in the bottle that u could use for a dinner with redleds mushrooms!! Could have a new taste sensation starting up here!

• Advertisement
Advertisement