Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best car insurance for new drivers

Options
  • 12-10-2011 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this has been asked many times, just wondering if there's any particular place that is reasonable with insurance?

I'm looking to get my own car, still on the provisional, and a student, with named driver (my dad).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Its going to be very expensive. Why dont you do the Driving Test and have a full licence . At least it would be a help. Are you under or over 25. A lot of Insurance wont even give you a quote with a provisional licence. Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

hillbloom wrote: »
    Its going to be very expensive. Why dont you do the Driving Test and have a full licence . At least it would be a help. Are you under or over 25. A lot of Insurance wont even give you a quote with a provisional licence. Best of Luck
    Yeah I fear how expensive it will be. I'm under 25.

Also, would it be any different if the car was bought under my dad's name and then I got insured on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭eolasguy

http://www.brittoninsurance.ie/ - Try them!! I am on a provisional and I'm a student. Got it for €850!!!! Best by far. (Third party only)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Not sure what the exact policy is about naming companies, but when I was learning (17 years old, 2 years ago now), Aviva did a very good deal where you could purchase a set of 10 driving lessons in a black with the Aviva school of motoring, and you'd get 6 months free accompanied driving cover (which was a bit stricter than standard named driver insurance, in such that the insurance would be invalid if you were not accompanied, and you have to list the people that are allowed to accompany you - in my case it had to be either of my parents, it couldn't be anyone else, even if they've held their full licence for >2 years).

It was a good deal for young drivers though. As far as I know, it's still ongoing (although with the new Essential Driving Training program, they may now require you to buy a block of 12 lessons as opposed to 10). The only disadvantage is, once 6 months are up, you are no longer covered and you need to find new insurance, which is still expensive. Also, your parent will need to change their insurance to Aviva in order to avail of this deal!

eolasguy wrote: »
    http://www.brittoninsurance.ie/ - Try them!! I am on a provisional and I'm a student. Got it for €850!!!! Best by far. (Third party only)
    Just tried getting a quote online there and I ended up "Unable to quote". Worth giving them a ring in the morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Young male driver insurance isn't hard to get these days unless you have prior accidents, it's never going to be cheap though. Shop around yourself, the reasonable price is the one you pay :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Try calling Chill.ie.They are good for young drivers.

Id also say you are probably better off going onto a policy with just yourself and not include your Dad as a named driver.At least that way you can get "insured only driving".Its going to be expensive anyway but having a named driver,even though he presumably has a full licence and clean driving history,will bring the premium up further.

Not sure what the exact policy is about naming companies, but when I was learning (17 years old, 2 years ago now), Aviva did a very good deal where you could purchase a set of 10 driving lessons in a black with the Aviva school of motoring, and you'd get 6 months free accompanied driving cover (which was a bit stricter than standard named driver insurance, in such that the insurance would be invalid if you were not accompanied, and you have to list the people that are allowed to accompany you - in my case it had to be either of my parents, it couldn't be anyone else, even if they've held their full licence for >2 years).

It was a good deal for young drivers though. As far as I know, it's still ongoing (although with the new Essential Driving Training program, they may now require you to buy a block of 12 lessons as opposed to 10). The only disadvantage is, once 6 months are up, you are no longer covered and you need to find new insurance, which is still expensive. Also, your parent will need to change their insurance to Aviva in order to avail of this deal!

I did this too, and it worked out insanely cheap. The instructor was fantastic (Henrik) and I had no problem passing the test first time.

I would encourage anyone that can get access to this deal to take full advantage of it. You'd pay the same price for lessons elsewhere, and get essentially free insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

What car are you trying to get insured on?

IrishZeus wrote: »
    What car are you trying to get insured on?
    1L VW Polo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

If your Da is the owner of the car and you are named on it, that way it will be cheaper. My son is 22 and insured that way and it cost an extra 800Euro to put him on and he has a full licence. Axa were about 300 cheaper than Aviva Its a 1.4 Nissan. Actually he availed of those lessons from Aviva (we were insured with Aviva at that time) and it was a lady instructor and she was a disaster. Everything she did with him was wrong. So if you are taking those lessons through Aviva, you need to check with a friend who has taken them. Good luck

Rang them today and the best they could do is 1300 but that depends on how long I have my original insurance. I'm still under 12 months on that plan so it's gonna be higher then that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭eolasguy

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Rang them today and the best they could do is 1300 but that depends on how long I have my original insurance. I'm still under 12 months on that plan so it's gonna be higher then that :(

Thats odd cause its my first time getting insurance when I called them. Sorry its not the result you were expecting!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 tommyhans

I called them and i quoted YOU because im the same situation. They said t was impossible and nobody would give that quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My first insurance was for 850 ish with Axa as a 22 year old, 3rd party, that was a few years ago now.

Advertisement